Keeping parameters in a softie-only tank

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you keeping softy only tanks, what are you doing for keeping alkalinity, Ca and Mg levels stable? For example, in my mixed reef, I am dosing 36mL AFR per day and performing monthly water changes to keep levels. Do you just keep them up with water changes? Two-part or AFR? Other?

I am starting a softie-only tank and trying to keep it simple. Interested in hearing what you do. Thanks!
1709850279623.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 2+ year old softie tank, its the easiest tank I've ever kept. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes with coral pro salt. That's it. No extra filtration no testing no extra money or worry or stress. I wouldn't suggest anyone do it this way, but it works for me for this tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you keeping softy only tanks, what are you doing for keeping alkalinity, Ca and Mg levels stable? For example, in my mixed reef, I am dosing 36mL AFR per day and performing monthly water changes to keep levels. Do you just keep them up with water changes? Two-part or AFR? Other?

I am starting a softie-only tank and trying to keep it simple. Interested in hearing what you do. Thanks!
1709850279623.jpeg

If that purple is real coralline algae, it can be a big user of alk and calcium. Some soft coral tanks can use 2 dKH per day, mostly from coralline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that purple is real coralline algae, it can be a big years of alk and calcium. Some soft coral tanks can co sure 2 dKH per day, mostly from coralline.
Trick of the light/lens. That is a Marshall-Islands-previously-live-rock-now-dried-for-5-years rock and is white. But the smaller rock in front with the plague palys is a rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and has coraline on it. The same dry rocks went fully purple in a couple of months in my other tank when mixed with TBS rocks.

Sounds like I'll need a dosing regimen. Might as well get started.

Thanks!

betareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 2+ year old softie tank, its the easiest tank I've ever kept. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes with coral pro salt. That's it. No extra filtration no testing no extra money or worry or stress. I wouldn't suggest anyone do it this way, but it works for me for this tank.

I also have kept softies with just regular water changes (natural seawater). I am currently doing that in a small 52 litre tanks, but that one is new and only has sinularia and green star polyps in it yet. I am using a multi-test test strip I got from Amazon. It is quite hard to read, but better than nothing. Nothing is changing. I just swap out 10 litres every week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trick of the light/lens. That is a Marshall-Islands-previously-live-rock-now-dried-for-5-years rock and is white. But the smaller rock in front with the plague palys is a rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and has coraline on it. The same dry rocks went fully purple in a couple of months in my other tank when mixed with TBS rocks.

Sounds like I'll need a dosing regimen. Might as well get started.

Thanks!

Ah, OK. IMO, the best choices for a tank like that are limewater/kalkwasser, some type of two part (DIY or commercial), or a one part like AFR. :)

The kalkwasser benefit is cost and pH boost.

The two part is a balance between cost and convenience, and may have a pH boost depending on recipe.

The AFR is most convenient.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back