Keeping rock alive in a tub

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine's tank broke due to a defect in the glass all the livestock was lost I was able to find the anemone a home after 18 hours without water he's alive, that's amazing. I have maybe forty pounds of live rock some of it had waving hand coral on it that didn't make it so I took scissors and trimmed off all the excess and I have it in a large plastic tub with 10 gallons of water from my tank when I didn't exchange, up our head and a heater. I have so many questions to ask but let's just start with the simple ones. Will the plastic from the tub Leach bad things into the Rock while I'm trying to store it for the next two weeks? Do I need to put a light on the rock to try and keep it alive and keep the bacteria culturing? I'm holding on to it because I'm going to be going from my 40-gallon breeder to a 90 gallon reef ready I could use the Rock but I also don't need any issues as far as cycling and if that bacteria has started to break down and it's really technically not live rock anymore? Thanks in advance sorry I'm a long-winded person but I wanted to get this all out in one shot

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria will be fine in the dark. Try to keep the temp stable and maybe add a bit of food every now and again to feed the bacteria, but that's probably not really needed. I wouldn't expect the plastic tub to leach anything bad.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria will be fine in the dark. Try to keep the temp stable and maybe add a bit of food every now and again to feed the bacteria, but that's probably not really needed. I wouldn't expect the plastic tub to leach anything bad.
That sounds perfect, thanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back