Keeping Scarus Quoyi - Greenblotch Parrotfish

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scarus Quoyi - Greenblotch Parrotfish is one of my favorite fish but I have had 2 now and lost both. Has anyone else had trouble keeping them?

2 different tank set ups, 1 was a reef the second a fish only. Water perams were ok and both fish were eating very well, brightly colored and very active, not shy at all. Both found very suddenly dead on the sand. No signs of anything or struggling in any way.

Both were fed on quality food from New Era. Algae Pellet and Flake as well as Marine grazers and not bullied by other fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you keep each one? A store near me had one for a few years in a 600g reef show tank, but any other time I have seen them come in they did not last long, succumbing to the stress of shipping.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you keep each one? A store near me had one for a few years in a 600g reef show tank, but any other time I have seen them come in they did not last long, succumbing to the stress of shipping.

Had each one about a month. Never know for sure but didn't seem stressed at all.

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far he's eating mysis and nori. I'm going to try pellets today.

Mine always ate really well and I fed New Era Algae pellet and flake as well as grazers, they loved all of them.
Great to hear yours is settling in. Keep the updates coming

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. He seemed really healthy. Went out for 2 hours, dead on the sand.

I had a moorish for over 2 years no problem before I sold her

Reflective

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD has one yesterday and today. I went to buy each time and then were both gone.
I got the one from... Thursday I think it was. I'm surprised how skittish he is. I've gotten all my fish from other places that quarantine/condition (Pieces of the Ocean and Exotic Reef Creations) and those fish have always come out when they see me because they know it means food. The skittishness is making it hard to feed him because he hides whenever I come into the room. I'm not cleaning my glass because he seems to spend most of the time he's out eating off the glass... so until I can get him eating, I'm going to have a fuzzy tank.

Think I need to sit in a chair in front of the tank with my syringe and a long tube and wait for him to come out, then squirt some food in the tank without trying to move much.

payamsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one from Live Aquaria Diver's Den. Same situation. Ate well, not shy, found him dead after two months.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a scarus quoyi about a month ago. He’s been eating well since day one. Was shy at first and let an algae blenny boss him around, strangely enough. That ended after about a week and now the scarus is the boss of a tank. Im also running ozone, which is known to reduce pathogens. figured I was home free with this fish but after reading these posts I’m not as confident.

We’re there any water quality or stress issues with these other scarus?

OP
OP
x_burt

x_burt

Smells like fish...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not with mine. they went in with other delicate fish like moorish idol that lived in that tank for more than two years.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience was similar. Mine arrived fat and healthy and was eating within a day. I quarantined him for two months and he became a voracious eater. He preferred Hikari mysis but ate everything I tried except nori.

Did well in my DT with 7 wrasses and a copperband butterfly. After about a month in the DT he quit eating. He would get very excited when food was in the water but would just swim by it like he didn't see it. He wasted away in spite of my best efforts.

It's one of my favorite fish ever but I don't know if I have it in me to try again after that experience. Q

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back