Greenblotch Parrotfish (Sparisoma atomarium) Behavior

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has had any experience with a Greenblotch Parrotfish (Sparisoma atomarium). After a couple weeks of having one, I have had some observations. Mine wouldn't eat off the nori clip at 1st, then rubber banding a piece the rockwork got it interested. That got him to finally eat off the clip. Eats TDO pellets, flakes, Mysis, & the Nori readily. Likes the TDO & Nori best. Working on getting some LRS Frenzy & going to try some Masstick. Pretty much eats anything.

The last couple days he is refusing to venture to the clip again. Might have to do with me pulling some nori off the overflow. As soon as I did he came to investigate & got a scare from my hand movement. He hasn't forgave me since & won't venture very far from the rockwork. When he was 1st introduced, had the same behavior. I don't think my kitten is helping anything, she keeps jumping against the glass & getting him scared.

This fish does have a pale appearance until scared or if browsing the rockwork for algae, the colors will darken/change. Sorta like a wrasse flashing? Here are a couple videos of him try "blend."

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, quite a bit! They should eventually get used to you sticking your hands in the tank (ours occasionally comes around to be petted/stroked, but this is the exception rather than the rule). See if you can relocate kitty as it's most definitely spooking him. A few weeks is still fairly early so give it time (I've had mine just over 2 years now).

They can and do change color frequently - especially when they get happy/excited (bright) or scared/spooked (camoflage). They will spend a lot of time scraping the rocks (and sometimes the odd unfortunate small coral) to wear their beaks down. Every now and then you'll observe them "jetting" a plumb of white sand.

Most nights they secrete a mucous cocoon to sleep in (even if they're the top tier fish). This basically looks like someone blew their nose in the tank.

They need (and require) an appropriately-sized "cave" for them to dwell in. Try to see if you can build or re-arrange some rocks to accommodate the entire fish (this will make them very happy!)

OP
OP
BetteMidler

BetteMidler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, quite a bit! They should eventually get used to you sticking your hands in the tank (ours occasionally comes around to be petted/stroked, but this is the exception rather than the rule). See if you can relocate kitty as it's most definitely spooking him. A few weeks is still fairly early so give it time (I've had mine just over 2 years now).

They can and do change color frequently - especially when they get happy/excited (bright) or scared/spooked (camoflage). They will spend a lot of time scraping the rocks (and sometimes the odd unfortunate small coral) to wear their beaks down. Every now and then you'll observe them "jetting" a plumb of white sand.

Most nights they secrete a mucous cocoon to sleep in (even if they're the top tier fish). This basically looks like someone blew their nose in the tank.

They need (and require) an appropriately-sized "cave" for them to dwell in. Try to see if you can build or re-arrange some rocks to accommodate the entire fish (this will make them very happy!)
Sounds just like this one. There is a pretty good cave spot he goes in every night. I'm not seeing the one I have in your fish list, it looks like you have the quoyi sp. that is also called the Greenblotch. Mine is the atomarium sp. From my research, I haven't seen one over 4" in an aquarium. The hope was to have a alternative herbivore instead of a tang. I'm keeping him in a 40B.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds just like this one. There is a pretty good cave spot he goes in every night. I'm not seeing the one I have in your fish list, it looks like you have the quoyi sp. that is also called the Greenblotch. Mine is the atomarium sp. From my research, I haven't seen one over 4" in an aquarium. The hope was to have a alternative herbivore instead of a tang. I'm keeping him in a 40B.
I think they’re very similar (not sure why they list the quoy as a greenblotch). Mine is 6-7” so the smaller size of yours is probably an advantage..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back