I need a Nori 101 course

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took awhile, but I now have few fish that are into Nori, which is nice. Foxface and a Yellow tang love it, my wrasse and Anthias will also pick at it. My Kole tang for some reason still prefers pellets and cubes (I can't solve that here).

My question is - how do people hang it? Right now, I am using clips, and what happens is that the Foxface and yellow tang will pick at it at first, adn then eventually rip it right off of the clip (within an hour). So i have small sheet of Nori floating in the tank, and evntually chunks as they get done with it. Is there a better way to attach it to something or keep it secure. I am trying to prevent as much going into my overflow as possible.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the feedback - very useful. I have used a few of these, but definitely not rolling it up as tight as people are recommending

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently only have one nori eater. Been looking for a good clip hate suction cups. I had ordered a 2 little fishes mega clip but amazon failed to ship. I have been taking a 2x3 piece and folding length wise to about 1/4" and then folding it in half and rubber banding it to a small rock 2 times a day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clip I use is a veggiemag, I’ve yet to see them actually tearing it off the clip.
IMG_9292.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the same clip. mine only comes off when i dont fold it well enough
I’m fairly lucky as my fish aren’t currently yanking algae off the clip so I tend to put the sheet on flat.

Once I get another foxface I’ll probably find myself folding it and making sure it’s tight.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The method I use with great success is to cut/tear off a rectangular piece, then roll it, the fold it in half so you have a folded roll with the "seam" on the inside of the fold. Then, clip the folded crease into your seaveggie clip. I've found that letting a long strand hang off the clip leads to fish ripping off large pieces that then get wasted/sucked into filter/stuck to powerheads.

Buckeye Ken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the suction cup that came with my clip. Took it of and tied about 2 ft of monofiliment fishing line to the clip. On the other end of the line I have a small piece of wood. I lower the clip and nori to the bottom of the tank, and place the wood piece on my cover screen. Retrieve the clip with the fishing line when it's time for a refill.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tear off a small piece and toss it in and the 2 tangs and foxface attack it until it’s gone. In my other tank I do the same thing but my emperor angelfish sucks the whole thing down in a bite or two. No need for clips

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a feeder pouch. Best thing ever to keep nori from floating all over the place.
I have that too. My gem tang manages to pull a large chunk out through the hole, and then what she has not bitten off, floats in the tank and is either sucked into the gyre pump, or goes behind the rocks. I am getting better results with the TLF clip. Next time will try to fold the sheet many times, to see if its any better that way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back