Keeping SPS and dealing with ich.

  • Thread starter Thread starter gonefishin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gonefishin

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2013
Messages
79
Reaction score
23
Location
Fresno, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, I need some advice. I currently have an SPS dominant tank but have had a recent issue with ich. All fish died except for my 3 wrasse and a chromis. It is unlikely going to be able to get these fish out of the tank and have my system go thru a fallow period. I know fish poop and having some nutrients is essential for keeping a colorful and successful SPS reef. I recently installed a UV sterilizer as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
27f4db1a103fa75d5ed57677a911252b.jpg
 
This happened to me. I partially drained the tank into large Rubbermaid containers, moved the rock covered in corals into the containers, caught the fish, put the fish in a prepared quarantine tank, then moved the rocks back in the display. It was a real headache but the only way to solve the problem. I let the display tank stay fallow for 3 months.
 
Are you saying you can’t get the fish out or don’t want to do that because of nutrients? If the latter, you can dose nitrates, phosphates, amino acids etc and maintain your nutrients.

For ich management advice, check this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-eradication-vs-ich-management.188775/#post-2171576
Main focus is corals. But would eventually would like to add more fish. Didn't know if there is a recommendation on when I can add fish and how many. I'll definitely check out hat write up. Thanks
 
Without letting the tank go fallow and medicating the fish in a separate tank, you could always possibly have ich outbreaks in the future.
 
I would just get 'er done as mentioned. Take out enough corals and lower the water levels enough to catch the fish.

You can probably get by with only taking out half the corals and then use a piece of plexiglas to corner the fish in the open area to catch easier. This is how I have done it in the past.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new