Keeping the tank cool with Air Flow and evaperation?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at using a tank rim mount fan to help cool my tank. Those of you guys that have these fans, do you run them so it's blowing air down the length (LT to RT or RT to LT) of the tank or across the width (blowing from back to front).

My Tank room layout is a square room with a ceiling fan centered in the room. I was wondering how the back to front air flow would be. Basically having my room ceiling fan reversed so that it pulls air from the middle of the room, across the ceiling, down the walls. Then mounting fans on the back of the tank so that air flow is pushed across the tank and back towards the ceiling fan. This would create a circular flow of air in the room.
tankflowIMG_6416.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan. A rim mounted fan on the back of the tank will be more aesthetically pleasing than mounting it on the side, and with the ceiling fan drawing up cooler air from the room, I would think it would work best. Awesome tank by the way!

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this over a decade ago and found the increased evaporation in the living portion of the house to be a cause of mold and corrosion in the room. I am fortunate enough to have a large sump in the basement and that is where I put a fan. I also ended up containing the room in the basement and venting it to the outside to restrict corrosion in my boiler room.

sump.JPG

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 125g blowing across the length. It only runs about 4hrs during summertime. I'm in south TX and run downstairs at 77degrees. If you dont want eye sore fan visible, you may even be able to put it down in sump area somewhere or it might be worth it to lower your tstat setpoint to help cool and lower humidity at the same time.

20190720_102051.jpg

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F90D16A2-F3C7-4520-9DAD-CC67747E8B5C.jpeg

Like you i have ceiling room fan in room, but i have ceiling fan blowing down on tanks, seems to work better this way in summer. In winter we reverse the fan. No tank mounted fans.

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey MSGT, I live in Arizona as well and I have a ~300gal system. I simply run a desk fan on my sump blowing directly into the return pump chamber. Tank has been sitting between 77-78.5 degrees!

FactoryKTMmotocross46

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many degrees can be brought down by a tank mounted fan?

My fan will drop my water temp around 2 degrees so I only run it when my whites are on. It depends on the size of the fan, water surface area, room temp and humidity. Humidity is a big factor since evaporation is what cools. You should do some experiments and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many degrees can be brought down by a tank mounted fan?
On my tank I ran a clip on fan as a test for an hour. It dropped the temp from 81 to 78. Since I keep my tank at 78 the heater kicked in to keep the tank at temp.

Back