Kelvin setting over the course of the day?

ams3210

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently upgraded to a G6 Radion XR15 pro, and I was wondering if it’s would be ok to have the light set for different kelvin throughout the day? What I’d like to do is start the day off at a higher kelvin (probably the full 20k), phase to a lower kelvin over the course of the day (like 12 or even 10k), and then black to higher kelvin (20k) towards the end of the light cycle. I can’t find anything approving or disapproving of this online, I’d like to be able to enjoy both the bluer look and the more daylight look but of course only if it isn’t to the detriment of my coral. If I should leave it alone, which kelvin setting would be better to leave it at? It’s been running at 14k since I set it up about a week ago, but I find that to be neither blue enough nor white enough, so either way I want to change it towards a more intense color look. Still pretty new to reefing here so let me know what you think, any insight is greatly appreciated!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that light schedule is 180 degrees out of sync with what happens in nature but I typically think about light schedule in terms of par, and not Kelvin. Lets see what the Board says.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently upgraded to a G6 Radion XR15 pro, and I was wondering if it’s would be ok to have the light set for different kelvin throughout the day? What I’d like to do is start the day off at a higher kelvin (probably the full 20k), phase to a lower kelvin over the course of the day (like 12 or even 10k), and then black to higher kelvin (20k) towards the end of the light cycle. I can’t find anything approving or disapproving of this online, I’d like to be able to enjoy both the bluer look and the more daylight look but of course only if it isn’t to the detriment of my coral. If I should leave it alone, which kelvin setting would be better to leave it at? It’s been running at 14k since I set it up about a week ago, but I find that to be neither blue enough nor white enough, so either way I want to change it towards a more intense color look. Still pretty new to reefing here so let me know what you think, any insight is greatly appreciated!
I think that's what most people do.
Blue, as sunrise, white as day, then back to blue for sunset.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as well, recently changed my XR15s over to a primarily 10k setting, trying to get the best of both worlds with some blues early/late and a more white period in the middle. Interested in the responses here.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the best tanks since I have been reefing for 30 years have the same Kelvin and intensity all day. The ability to modify this is fairly new and I am not even certain that it is a benefit. I doubt that you can mess this up as long as you set it and let it go to work.

bethekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the best tanks since I have been reefing for 30 years have the same Kelvin and intensity all day. The ability to modify this is fairly new and I am not even certain that it is a benefit. I doubt that you can mess this up as long as you set it and let it go to work.
JDA what's your current lighting setup looking like? I'm new to the hobby and it sounds like you know your stuff

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Metal Halide. Currently with 14k Phoenix bulbs - I have a small stash. They are not making them right now with about 50/50 if they will have another production run... nobody knows, but this has happened before and PEC made more.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back