kenya tree growing to large..need solution(s)

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey i've had a kenya that i pickedup from purchasing another guys system several years back and now it's starting to get out of control.. i really don't mind it if i can keep it in check... but i have a large stalk on a rock that is starting to rub on a birdsnest on the same rock and it's getting a little RTN on the tips.. i'd like to cut the whole kenya tree off the rock but my LFS does not want it.

Can i just trim the kenya tree way down?? just kind of prune it like a plant ?... also if i do that im kind of scared that some will float around and just relocate, i have 2 large colonies of kenya(this being one of them) and at least 5 other little stalks sprouting around the tank... im thinking im just gonna cut those and toss them.. dont wanna do it but seems theres no other solution

appreciate any feedback

PapaDragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way I've stopped Kenya is to frag off the piece off live rock.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you can trim em down just like you would a plant. Not to worry, it won't kill it.

OP
OP
JFrar

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya just chopped 2 nice size branches off, the remaining of it in the tank looks depressed and deflated lol. I'm sure it'll pop back up that coral always does..... I felt really bad just "tossing" the cut branches away though I don't really like doing that. Not sure what I'm gonna do in the future. Maybe find a different LFS and just donate it to them

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it doing now? Just curious. I hope it is ok.

Ya just chopped 2 nice size branches off, the remaining of it in the tank looks depressed and deflated lol. I'm sure it'll pop back up that coral always does..... I felt really bad just "tossing" the cut branches away though I don't really like doing that. Not sure what I'm gonna do in the future. Maybe find a different LFS and just donate it to them

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the pet store doesn't want It for the same reason why you are trimming It.. Don't feel bad It will be back in about a week

OP
OP
JFrar

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I trimmed the 2 branches and tossed them, I bought another jabeao rw8 power head and the Kenya was rubbing the birds nest again. So I pried the whole base off of the rock and its laying on the sand bed in the corner now lol. Got new real estate for my montis which is a big plus. Hah... There is a little patch of flesh from the Kenya on the rock I'm sure it'll start growing again

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back