Kessil 160 Settings While on Vacation?

gyakuzuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone - I recently added a Kessil 160 for my biocube 14 and am going to be on a 7 day vacation. Someone will be stopping by to feed the animals every 2 days, but I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for what kind of setting I should leave the Kessil at while we are gone, assuming the person doing the feeding won't be reliable enough to change the settings.

Keep it turned off? Low intensity blue light only?

The aquarium is situated relatively close to some windows that receive good outdoor light, so if we kept the lights off they wouldn't be in total darkness.

I'm also working to get rid of a bunch of green hair algae ... so some lights out might not hurt but for a week, I think my corals may not be happy.

Thanks!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having a light for a week will hurt your corals.
Why did you do a light change right before you went on vacation?
On the safe site it's better to leave your light on for the regular schedule but reduce the intensity by 50%.
It will help a bit for your HA and your corals are happy.
You might tell you tank sitter be careful with the food, maybe not feed at all for seven days is better to battle the HA while your gone, you fish will survive that no problem

OP
OP
gyakuzuki

gyakuzuki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks. I won't be able to turn the light on or off at all while I am gone ... going to just leave it at 50% intensity and ... blue. Any issue with that approach?

akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the color is more for your personal preference while the intensity is more for the coral.

A schedule was posted awhile ago that Kessil uses apparently. I'll attach photo. Maybe if you have spare cash get the controller and set a more permanent schedule. I don't see why it would matter if you were on vacation then.

Ps I would lower that schedule I posted if that is no where near your current schedule.

image.png

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks. I won't be able to turn the light on or off at all while I am gone ... going to just leave it at 50% intensity and ... blue. Any issue with that approach?

What do you mean, you haven't set on a timer?
I would get a $5 timer and set it to come on at noon and of at 7 or 8.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back