Kessil A360w-e with Controller Question

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed and called Kessil customer service about this yesterday, still waiting on a reply.
Maybe someone else has noticed or experienced this too.

My question/concern is that whenever I use the time slots on the controller I notice the light won’t create the same deep blue color that it can without the controller or whenever I use the manual setting on the controller. It is much more white with the color at 0 and intensity at 5. It is almost like the color it creates when u turn the knobs to full blue and full intensity it is just a lot more dim. I don’t see why it would be the cable if I can use the controller in manual and put the color at 0 and create the deep blues. Anybody else notice this?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed and called Kessil customer service about this yesterday, still waiting on a reply.
Maybe someone else has noticed or experienced this too.

My question/concern is that whenever I use the time slots on the controller I notice the light won’t create the same deep blue color that it can without the controller or whenever I use the manual setting on the controller. It is much more white with the color at 0 and intensity at 5. It is almost like the color it creates when u turn the knobs to full blue and full intensity it is just a lot more dim. I don’t see why it would be the cable if I can use the controller in manual and put the color at 0 and create the deep blues. Anybody else notice this?
So when you go into manual mode, and turn the color all the way down to 0, its still whiter than if you unplug the controller and turn the knob all the way down, am I understanding that right? Are the cables plugged in all the way? I know with mine if the cable isn't securely pushed in the intensity and the color will be off. Any pictures of your setup?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you mean the Kessil controller (rather than Apex)? I run my 360s through Apex and have no issues getting down to full blue. I run the A80 through the Kessil controller and have no issues getting to full blue. I do not run the 360s through the Kessil controller though.

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have the kessil controller. Saving up for the apex. I talked to kessil and they want me to compare it with another light so luckily one of my favorite lfs uses kessils

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting; I run mine via ReefAngel and haven't observed this. Hooked up to the ReefAngel, the light wont turn on until intensity is 10-11%. I havent mess with color in this regard (it drops to 0% on my setup which matches the light set manually to lowest color setting) but I'm wondering in the Spectral Control has a cut off at roughly 10% so it maintains a linear shift with regard to intensity and possibly color (i.e. no flat spot from 0-10%).

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78f1d7474c90753802f18c6e52ec30dc.jpg
699b95d7ab63278b78eb7f7ec20ec67a.png

This is the difference in the lowest settings without the controller and with the controller put on 0 color 5 intensity on the time slots

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting; I run mine via ReefAngel and haven't observed this. Hooked up to the ReefAngel, the light wont turn on until intensity is 10-11%. I havent mess with color in this regard (it drops to 0% on my setup which matches the light set manually to lowest color setting) but I'm wondering in the Spectral Control has a cut off at roughly 10% so it maintains a linear shift with regard to intensity and possibly color (i.e. no flat spot from 0-10%).
I’ve heard about the 10% shut off that’s a good point. Maybe it is the same with the controller but I have read similar posts about the same issue other people are having and it sounds like the latest firmware update for the controller is causing it but idk if it is every light or just some of them. The lady I talked to at kessil said she hasn’t had anyone else call and ask about the same thing so I’m thinking it will just be something wrong with the light after I compare it with another

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard about the 10% shut off that’s a good point. Maybe it is the same with the controller but I have read similar posts about the same issue other people are having and it sounds like the latest firmware update for the controller is causing it but idk if it is every light or just some of them. The lady I talked to at kessil said she hasn’t had anyone else call and ask about the same thing so I’m thinking it will just be something wrong with the light after I compare it with another
The latest firmware update for the spectral controller should be v1.04
You can check your firmware version by hitting the home button, and then scrolling over to settings, and then selecting firmware version....I think lol

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The latest firmware update for the spectral controller should be v1.04
You can check your firmware version by hitting the home button, and then scrolling over to settings, and then selecting firmware version....I think lol

I have v1.04 kessil emailed me told me to downgrade to v1.02.

OP
OP
minder_mano

minder_mano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my blues back baby! The downgrade fixed it. Kessil customer service was great. They said the issue was rare with the new upgraded firmware but I couldn’t tell what is wrong with my light that made the difference. I do think the light was transmitting extra uv light, Ive been wrong many time before. I’m just happy I can see the colors pop before bedtime now. Thank you Kessil

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my blues back baby! The downgrade fixed it. Kessil customer service was great. They said the issue was rare with the new upgraded firmware but I couldn’t tell what is wrong with my light that made the difference. I do think the light was transmitting extra uv light, Ive been wrong many time before. I’m just happy I can see the colors pop before bedtime now. Thank you Kessil
Glad to hear! :) And i agree kessil has top notch customer service.

tinadavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi how did you downgrade to v1.02 thanks

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back