Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue Light fan failure.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My tank has two Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue lights and I’ve had them for just shy of 2 year. The fan in one is failing and making all kinds of racket.

I reached out to Kessil and offered to pay for the fan and shipping and asked to get a second fan to have spare for my other unit. I’ve been thinking about picking up a third unit as I’ve been getting more SPS and I need a bit better coverage and having a spare of the one moving part would be ideal.

So it turns out Kessil doesn’t sell spare parts. They claim I am out of warranty even though the warranty is up today (I reached out several days ago to them). In short I can either pay them basically to swap this unit out for a refurbished unit all shipping at my expense. $110+shipping IIRC or I can source my own fan and fix it.

I wasn’t sure if anybody else had done this. I haven’t seen much when I searched. It looks like it’s a 60mm fan and I think it’s 48v. Does anybody know what fan I actually need? I’ve torn the light down but I’m no engineer. I can handle the swap easily if I can be sure to get the right fan.

All of that said I’m a bit disappointed that Kessil basically doesn’t support independent repair by making parts available. I would gladly pay a 100% markup just to get an official part from the manufacturer.

I’m also considering just updating my lighting setup and parting ways with these Kessils. The main reason I liked them was they looked very sleek and performed well.

I’m running a RedSea Reefer 425XL. Right now I have the two Kessils but I probably really should have 3 or 4. Any recommendations on updated lighting?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

My tank has two Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue lights and I’ve had them for just shy of 2 year. The fan in one is failing and making all kinds of racket.

I reached out to Kessil and offered to pay for the fan and shipping and asked to get a second fan to have spare for my other unit. I’ve been thinking about picking up a third unit as I’ve been getting more SPS and I need a bit better coverage and having a spare of the one moving part would be ideal.

So it turns out Kessil doesn’t sell spare parts. They claim I am out of warranty even though the warranty is up today (I reached out several days ago to them). In short I can either pay them basically to swap this unit out for a refurbished unit all shipping at my expense. $110+shipping IIRC or I can source my own fan and fix it.

I wasn’t sure if anybody else had done this. I haven’t seen much when I searched. It looks like it’s a 60mm fan and I think it’s 48v. Does anybody know what fan I actually need? I’ve torn the light down but I’m no engineer. I can handle the swap easily if I can be sure to get the right fan.

All of that said I’m a bit disappointed that Kessil basically doesn’t support independent repair by making parts available. I would gladly pay a 100% markup just to get an official part from the manufacturer.

I’m also considering just updating my lighting setup and parting ways with these Kessils. The main reason I liked them was they looked very sleek and performed well.

I’m running a RedSea Reefer 425XL. Right now I have the two Kessils but I probably really should have 3 or 4. Any recommendations on updated lighting?
This thread has some great info for you.
check out the last post. You can find DC fans on sites like newegg

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has some great info for you.
check out the last post. You can find DC fans on sites like newegg

Thank you very much for the help!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one .....

You have to spice the fan into the old plug.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old fan in my 360we was 12v.

OP
OP
TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it replaced. Wasn’t hard at all. I used one of the adapters in the box with the fan to make a harness adapter. This way I didn’t have to cut the wires on the fan itself. If I need a new fan in the future I can just plug and play.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back