Kessil a360x and 5ft Reef Tank - SPS?

JoshMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

It's been 8 years since I've had a reef tank, so I'm working on getting back into it and need some lighting advice. I found a redsea 525xl with all equipment and I'm just trying to decide how many and which LED's to buy.

So far, they are:
1. 3 Kessil a360x with a controller
2. Illumagic Blazex 150
3. 2 Hydra AI 52s

From what I can see, the illumagic is the best all in one solution, however, the user experience and noise is really not great. So for me, they are a pass as a result. The other option is to add in a T5 hybrid light with these LED's to help fill it out.

I like the idea of the Kessil's because they are 30x30 inch footprint, so running 3 on the tank should be a good coverage to go for SPS and maintain the light levels that I would like.

The question is, could I run 2 Kessil's and get away with it? Would the third only be necessary if I heavily stock SPS?

What would you do?

Thanks in advance!!

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been told for ever 2 ft that’s 1 kessil. You might be able to get away with 2 kessils but I wouldn’t keep anything that needs a lot of light far away from the light. I use a360we on my tank I love it. I have a 6 ft tank and if I didn’t have these black plastic braces that go across the tank then I would have 4 Kessils. I use the kessils and a t5 hybrid. I grow mainly sps and zoas. What are you trying to grow? Sps or other corals? If sps then I would definitely go with 3

OP
OP
JoshMack

JoshMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on with pretty much exactly what I was thinking! I won't get into SPS straight away, so maybe I pick up 2 Kessil's to start with till I'm getting into some more serious hard stuff!

T5 Hybrids seem enticing. Those fixtures make a lot of sense, but I'm not sure if I want a hybrid on top at this stage.

PS thanks for the welcome :)

OP
OP
JoshMack

JoshMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this is the right amount of cables for 3? I think 1 comes with the controller.

Kessil.PNG

Also, based in Aus so this is all in AUD.

I also need the stands, but they are special order. Basically, I save $1,000 by going with two at the start

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that can save you $40 is those cables are the same thing as aux cords. I had cables and when I got more kessil lights to add to my tank I lost the one and was freaking out cause I sold my other lights and I was going on vacation soon and realized I was gonna be screwed. Searched everywhere and found an aux cord for the car to plug into your phone. The aux cords can be purchased at 5 below and 2 will cost u $10. Saves you $30. Just saw your in aus but I imagine you still have the aux cords. Have you ever thought of a360we? I don’t know a lot about the 360x except they cost a lot more. Down the road if you ever wanna do t5/kessil I would highly recommend. Ever since I added my corals are growing like crazy.

Retfitter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, this is the right amount of cables for 3? I think 1 comes with the controller.

Kessil.PNG

Also, based in Aus so this is all in AUD.

I also need the stands, but they are special order. Basically, I save $1,000 by going with two at the start
I’ve always been told for ever 2 ft that’s 1 kessil. You might be able to get away with 2 kessils but I wouldn’t keep anything that needs a lot of light far away from the light. I use a360we on my tank I love it. I have a 6 ft tank and if I didn’t have these black plastic braces that go across the tank then I would have 4 Kessils. I use the kessils and a t5 hybrid. I grow mainly sps and zoas. What are you trying to grow? Sps or other corals? If sps then I would definitely go with 3
I have been using 2 kessil son 4 ft. Tank for about 3 years now. They work fine but I agree that for coral with higher par requirements, 3 kessil would be much better.
1E81C542-5B78-4CD7-8D0D-B452AD646735.jpeg

OP
OP
JoshMack

JoshMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something that can save you $40 is those cables are the same thing as aux cords. I had cables and when I got more kessil lights to add to my tank I lost the one and was freaking out cause I sold my other lights and I was going on vacation soon and realized I was gonna be screwed. Searched everywhere and found an aux cord for the car to plug into your phone. The aux cords can be purchased at 5 below and 2 will cost u $10. Saves you $30. Just saw your in aus but I imagine you still have the aux cords. Have you ever thought of a360we? I don’t know a lot about the 360x except they cost a lot more. Down the road if you ever wanna do t5/kessil I would highly recommend. Ever since I added my corals are growing like crazy.

Sadly with the 360x, those cables are USB C :( Maybe they are just any USB C cable? Might be the same as you said.

Can you share how you mounted that light? If I go Hybrid I need different mounts, but it never hurts to have more light. So 3 kessils and a T5 Hybrid would be top. Add another $1000 haha

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly with the 360x, those cables are USB C :( Maybe they are just any USB C cable? Might be the same as you said.

Can you share how you mounted that light? If I go Hybrid I need different mounts, but it never hurts to have more light. So 3 kessils and a T5 Hybrid would be top. Add another $1000 haha
Haha yes everything cost money. The aquatic life t5 hybrid comes in different sizes. They have a 5 ft one that would fit your tank perfect. The t5 help with the shading of the sps colonies. When sps start to get large they sometimes bleach in the middle because there’s no light getting there and the t5 help prevent that. So I have 360 on my frag tank with a goose neck and the other has a built in thing where u can move the kessils and mount them on top of the t5 setup. This is only 1 set up. They only make max of 5 ft and my tank is 6ft. So I have a 4ft and in the process of saving for another 2ft t5 hybrid to finish my tank. Just a broke college kid currently so gotta save a little more

5313E577-4293-4D99-8269-2513450793BD.jpeg 18343EBA-E2A8-4583-9CDE-9BF5ABAE461B.jpeg

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure with the cables then. But I know when I saw kessil website I saw they were super expensive and I found the aux cord and saved my self some money. I’m sure you can do the same but never used the 360x version

OP
OP
JoshMack

JoshMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
360 on my frag tank with a goose neck and the other has a built in thing where u can move the kessils and mount t
Haha yes everything cost money. The aquatic life t5 hybrid comes in different sizes. They have a 5 ft one that would fit your tank perfect. The t5 help with the shading of the sps colonies. When sps start to get large they sometimes bleach in the middle because there’s no light getting there and the t5 help prevent that. So I have 360 on my frag tank with a goose neck and the other has a built in thing where u can move the kessils and mount them on top of the t5 setup. This is only 1 set up. They only make max of 5 ft and my tank is 6ft. So I have a 4ft and in the process of saving for another 2ft t5 hybrid to finish my tank. Just a broke college kid currently so gotta save a little more

5313E577-4293-4D99-8269-2513450793BD.jpeg 18343EBA-E2A8-4583-9CDE-9BF5ABAE461B.jpeg

Pretty awesome setup for a broke college kid ;)

I'd be looking for a tank mounted lighting stand. I'm sure they're around, but these hybrid lights + mounts are not as available here in Aus.

Okay, goosenecks and 3 Kessils to start, then a 5ft Hybrid down the line!
hem on top of the t5 setup. This is only 1 set up. They only make max of 5 ft and my tank is 6ft. So I have a 4ft and in the process of saving fo

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put 4 kessils though, im currently looking on putting 4 360x on my 4ft tank that is rimmed with the center brace. You can put two kessil on each side of the brace and lower it to 6 inch from the water as its supposed to. You gonna have some pretty good coverage.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back