Kessil a360x - Refugium - Can I use blue setting to grow softies/LPS?

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, build thread coming soon. Basically I'm setting up a Nuvo 20 fusion as a starter and will upgrade to a Red Sea 350 or 450 once I know work won't relocate me...again. Part of this was the plan to turn the Nuvo 20 into a quarantine tank in the basement once the Red Sea is purchased. With that, I wanted to start some basic rock and soft/LPS coral frags in the Nuvo that I can transplant into the Red Sea eventually. Part of this thought process was to not waste money on a light right now when I will get some nice ones later for the Red Sea. So that thinking in mind, I purchased the HIPARGERO LED Aquarium Light 30w (from Amazon) due to the decent reviews it had for a budget light. Spectrum shown below (Source "") :

51mXstFOMhL._AC_.jpg

Then I got lucky. I mean won a Kessil a360x Refugium light lucky. Saves me some dough when I set up my refugium on the Red Sea, however, in the interim I noticed it has a blue light setting and the spectrum chart on it looks pretty similar to something that corals could use to grow. Additionally their website states the blue light setting can grow some soft corals. Blue spectrum setting shown below (Source "https://www.kessil.com/products/saltwater_A360XRefugium.php") :

A360XRefugium_Optical_img02.png

What I want to ask, is for the Nuvo 20, would i be safe to use the a360x Refugium light on the blue setting (or a custom setting) for softies and maybe an LPS or two OR should I just stick with the Hipargero for now? Thank you all in advance - I'm looking forward to the discussion with everyone!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
/bump - Could really use some input if anyone can help. Will let this post die if no replies after today. Thanks for your help in advance!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back