Kessil a500x or xr30

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I need light up my new 84"×30"×24"(deep) peninsula style aquarium. I want the lights to be about 20-24" above the water surface. I want to keep a mixed reef LPS heavy, maybe SPS at some point. My concern is reaching the sand bed with a light basically 48" above the sand. I want the high light mount in my canopy to make working in the takk easier. Looking for suggestions from others on potential options. I appreciate the feedback! Stand/setup in progress ...

20210417_213210.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool build, looking forward to seeing how it turns out! you could maybe do kessil a500x and staggered with xr15 pros to get the best of both worlds. Kessil shimmer and that ab+ spectrum would look great

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check out using kessil a500x with dual reef brite hybrid kit. The kessil with the 55 degree reflector should work with the hybrid kit. You would be looking at 4 kessils plus 4 strips of reef brite or t5. It will be expensive with the kessils so keep that in mind.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% i do agree halides are amazing, just other issues (like heat and electric but are absolutely awesome) and i think they were trying to go another way with the lighting which is why i gave the suggestion.
Forgot to say those new reefi led uno and duos also look amazing (and look to be cheaper cost replacements for ecotech radions and may be even better) if you are looking at other options let us know as i would like to help as much as i can.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils are functionally the same as halides
not fully true as spectrum and coverage are different than halides with huge reflectors. i do like how they are trying to emulate the shimmer though and multiple help coverage. i would love to see these new a500s in action but havent yet. you def need them because of the height that you are hanging them.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to see the orphek amazonas 320s because those seem awesome if hung high enough, but you may have to ask orphek because they dont seem to be available otherwise

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I need light up my new 84"×30"×24"(deep) peninsula style aquarium. I want the lights to be about 20-24" above the water surface. I want to keep a mixed reef LPS heavy, maybe SPS at some point. My concern is reaching the sand bed with a light basically 48" above the sand. I want the high light mount in my canopy to make working in the takk easier. Looking for suggestions from others on potential options. I appreciate the feedback! Stand/setup in progress ...

20210417_213210.jpg

3 w/ 60 degree reflectors.
A geometrically sound solution.
I' ll let others contemplate biologically sound or not.
At 960w you would be well powered.
3 is more for coverage than anything else.

Use this as more of a guide than suggestion.

Can even build your own spectrum.
No matter the type of lighting you use, efficient delivery into the tank w/ out bouncing light hither and yon (sorry) and using more watts than necessary, you need to start w/ simple geometry.
Especially w/ leds and if you want to use less watts than say a metal halide.

Suggest you consult some experts.
Your heights not extreme but out of the " normal" range a bit.

You can use the box to channel some light but do you want to rely on it?
Think bulb vs flashlight.
:)

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to set up and light a 120”x60”x30” peninsula 3 sides starphire glass. After a ton of research I’m going with the best of all worlds.

8x kessil a500x’s (mounted on ends)
16x 48” reefbrite xho blue strips (2 each side)
4x Radion G5 blue XR30’s (placed in middle)

4 total fixtures

Should be plenty of light for any coral and any future growth.

Attachments

• C1B59A5D-9B57-48C6-90BA-0BCA6F0755A5.png
    C1B59A5D-9B57-48C6-90BA-0BCA6F0755A5.png
    848 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 w/ 60 degree reflectors.
A geometrically sound solution.
I' ll let others contemplate biologically sound or not.
At 960w you would be well powered.
3 is more for coverage than anything else.

Use this as more of a guide than suggestion.

Can even build your own spectrum.
No matter the type of lighting you use, efficient delivery into the tank w/ out bouncing light hither and yon (sorry) and using more watts than necessary, you need to start w/ simple geometry.
Especially w/ leds and if you want to use less watts than say a metal halide.

Suggest you consult some experts.
Your heights not extreme but out of the " normal" range a bit.

You can use the box to channel some light but do you want to rely on it?
Think bulb vs flashlight.
:)
Great info, thanks! Based on the calculator 2x ax500 lights with a 55deg lens would get light into the entire tank. However, PAR/intensity is the next question at that height/angle/coverage. I am thinking it will be okay to start with along with my Xr15 pros filling in the the light at the ends of the tank and T5s cover the entire length of the tank. I can always add more lights later if needed.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross posting my reply here as well so people can follow it -

At that mounting height, the A500X with either the 55 or 35 degree reflector is going to be your best bet. It provides the most versatile option, and will let you run the amount of light you need for now and for the future if you decide to go more SPS dominant.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cross posting my reply here as well so people can follow it -

At that mounting height, the A500X with either the 55 or 35 degree reflector is going to be your best bet. It provides the most versatile option, and will let you run the amount of light you need for now and for the future if you decide to go more SPS dominant.
Awesome! Thank you for the feedback.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool build, looking forward to seeing how it turns out! you could maybe do kessil a500x and staggered with xr15 pros to get the best of both worlds. Kessil shimmer and that ab+ spectrum would look great
I would also consider (at the very least research) ReefBrite XHOs (which may really work ideally for your requirements), ATI Stratons and Philips Coral Care Gen2.

ATI Straton was my first choice, but unfortunately largely not available in US. So i got the Reefbrite XHOs and will recommend them - with a warning that they are likely the most expensive option of the lot (which miffed me quite a bit, since the cost is hidden). The Philips didn't work for me since unlike you i had no provisions to hang my lights and had to tank-mount my lights. The Philips are heaviest lights of them all. So, tank-mounting them seemed risky. These lights may actually be the most cost effective. The Philips and ATI are air-cooled systems, which according to professional light installers in the forum, is the way to go. Alas!!

Kessil's shimmer is almost identical to natural sunlight shimmer. My tank receives natural sunlight so its easy to compare. I may complement my lighting with Kessil A80s at a later point just for that effect. This combo of the Kessil and XHO is what BRS calls its new Platinum Standard, and per their tests blows T5s out of water (pun intented) ... but again it's still too new, and untested. Kessil's lights are reported to be weak for SPS, when used individually. So I have stayed away, thus far. My light purchase research was
pre-AP 500x, which actually may work very well for you.

I considered the Orphek Atlantic V4 and the Radeons a lot (really a lot - Orpheks were my first choice for a brief while). But I decided against both because i could see disco-balling (even with diffusers). Once i saw the disco balling, i could not unsee them. What i mean by disco-balling is that the light breaking up wavelengths due to water movement, which causes reds and blues to seperate. So it looks like your reef is partying up like its 1959, once the tank flow gets cranked up!!

Hopefully i was able to provide you some new info on the matter of reef-lighting :). Will be quite interested to follow your path.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back