Kessil AP700 Troubleshooting Tip: Firmware version

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessil app for our AP700s accidentally was deleted on the iPhone and, silly us, thought we would just re-install the app and be on our merry way. After several hours of trying to set up the Direct Connect option with no luck, I finally called Kessil (a real person answered on the first ring!) and the rep got us back in business. I thought I'd share what we learned.

We have 5 AP700s over our 300g mixed reef tank, three installed on start up and two installed a couple of years later. Our LFS installed the lamps and programmed the app so we never learned much about how that process worked. After the app was deleted and reinstalled I could get the app to add the first lamp but not the other 4. It turns out that the issue was the firmware version of the lamps. Even though the lamps had been perfectly fine before the app was deleted, the firmware version became an issue because we had to reinstall the lamps.

Key: all lamps must be on the same firmware version when loading them in the app.

Mason at Kessil sent me written instructions on how to first do a factory reset of the lamps and then the firmware update on each lamp. Once these steps were completed, the lamps loaded into the app with no issues. Updating the firmware requires a micro USB cable and a laptop. Kessil has the necessary software and hex file available for Macs and Windows. I am no tech whiz but the process was pretty straight forward and took less than 30 minutes.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand correctly, the lights were working through the app with different firmware versions - but after the app was deleted you could only add the lights with updated firmware? I assume you can update the firmware in the future through the Keassl app? (the same way you can for Fusion, MyAI and Mobius?)

OP
OP
NanJ

NanJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand correctly, the lights were working through the app with different firmware versions - but after the app was deleted you could only add the lights with updated firmware? I assume you can update the firmware in the future through the Keassl app? (the same way you can for Fusion, MyAI and Mobius?)
Your understanding is correct...but - for the AP700 lamps firmware updates can only be done with the USB connection to a computer. As this model of lamps is discontinued Kessil does not expect to be doing any more firmware updates. (Newest/last version is 4.2.)

Our LFS has the newest Kessil model and says the app is MUCH improved.

delock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your understanding is correct...but - for the AP700 lamps firmware updates can only be done with the USB connection to a computer. As this model of lamps is discontinued Kessil does not expect to be doing any more firmware updates. (Newest/last version is 4.2.)

Our LFS has the newest Kessil model and says the app is MUCH improved.
How do you factory reset the ap700?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back