Kessil Housing Screws... screwed up :(

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

This is what I had used to try to do it previously, but I like the manual one as it looks solid for some hammer bashing :)

Yes that is fine but use a t handle tap wrench. An electric drill will spin to fast and just damage the bit.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also with easy-outs(reverse spinning drill bits), you need to tap the screw head a bit so the tip of the easy-out bites into the screw. They usually will include a metal cutting drill bit in the kit. You want to use a drill bit that is 2 times smaller then the easy-out size. Then very slowly(they work better by hand with a T style handle like above) turn counter clockwise and it should work it's way out.

I also find that unless your using the easy-outs on hardened bolts, doing it by hand is loads better then using a drill.

FWIW, I have used vice grips on some of my easy-outs that do not fit in my T handle(they typically have square heads).

OP
OP
M

Meldrath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broke down and bought a Ridgid 'dremel' and was able to cut the housing where I thought I would and cut the screw in half.

Also identified why the screw was so hard to remove in the first place. Salt creep has caused rust and probably caused the threads to seize up.

20200103_221543.jpg

20200103_221555.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back