Kessil lighting for SPS/mixed 72x24 (30)x24?

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 2 of the Ap9x fixtures thinking that would be enough for a 72x24x24 tank. Now I am not sure.

Add to the question of possibly going 72x30x24 and the questions start multiplying.

Looking to keep SPS plus acan and zoa gardens at the bottom.

Do I need to add another Ap9x or maybe an a360x in the middle to supplement?

Do I turn the Ap9x fixture perpendicular to the long side or even 45 degrees to cover more of the 30 inch width? Effectively like lighting individual 24x30x24 tanks. Was leaning towards this option but using an A360x in the middle as the tank has a 6" internal overflow.

Thanks in advance for your help.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love these as you will get all kinds of different answers. I had two ap700s supplemented with t5 on a similar setup. They worked fine with the additional support of T5s. I believe the ap9x has a better spread front to back than the ap700. When I spoke with Kessil, which I recommend you do they are awesome, about upgrading, I was thinking of the ap9x. When I mentioned heavy sps they said that two would work just fine. You could try out what you have and modify later, you might be surprised. The 360x is basically the same as half of a ap9x so you could go that route if you don’t mind having an odd man out over the tank. Some people care about that, others don’t. I ended up keeping the t5s and going with three a500xs.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulling this back up as after speaking with Kessil (who were very pleasant to speak with) I am still unsure if additional lighting is needed.

The tank will be 72" x 30" x 25". It will have a 6" internal overflow centered so there will be 2 side sections 30" front-to-back depth and a center section 24" front-to-back. There are also glass cross braces 24" on center from each side. Essentially this creates (2) 24" x 30" side sections and (1) 24" x 24" middle sections.

Kessil said the (2) Ap9x should be "fine" for lighting the tank as each fixture is supposed to cover a 48" x 24" area. I want to house SPS corals and wish to add another fixture to the plan.

Should this be another Ap9x and positioned like:
\ _ / 45 or 60 degree angle over the 30" wide sections and parallel to the 24" section
I _ I Perpendicular to the front over the 30" wide and parallel to the 24" section
_ _ _ Parallel across the middle of the tank

Or should I go with a single A360x and position like:
\ . / 45 or 60 degree angle over the 30" wide sections and parallel to the 24" section
I . I Perpendicular to the front over the 30" wide and parallel to the 24" section
_ . _ Parallel across the middle of the tank

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%

Back