New Tank Setup Lighting Decision

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this literally an hour ago on BRS how big is your tank? I think this is a great bundle. I dont know if i should adda third kessil or not.

Im also torn between doing the reefbrites or blades. the blades come out to more money i believe. they have that coral glow one which is more purple.
4x2x2 tank. The kit comes with hanging brackets for the Kessil units. You can always add more later.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x2x2 tank. The kit comes with hanging brackets for the Kessil units. You can always add more later.
very cool, are you an sps tank mixed reef?

are you using any controllers or just the kessil app?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef. Keeping mushrooms, zoas, clove, Kenya, acans, favia, birdsnest, fungia, pectina, and acros. Bought the Kessil controller for Apex. It’s not the best. I liked it through the app better. Reefbrite through apex is nice because you can get dimming

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef. Keeping mushrooms, zoas, clove, Kenya, acans, favia, birdsnest, fungia, pectina, and acros. Bought the Kessil controller for Apex. It’s not the best. I liked it through the app better. Reefbrite through apex is nice because you can get dimming
Are you doning any lunar schedule? do you have any shaddowing?

thanks so much for responding quickly

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is in our bedroom so I got tired of the lunar schedule. There is shadows but nothing terrible.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the kessil controller and the mobius app. I use the Radions as my middle of the day ramp up. Also not running my lights at full power as there is no need yet to....maybe might never have to . Not going to do many sps, only a few at the top soon in the future...

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the kessil controller and the mobius app. I use the Radions as my middle of the day ramp up. Also not running my lights at full power as there is no need yet to....maybe might never have to . Not going to do many sps, only a few at the top soon in the future...
Thanks for the input. which kessil lights do you have?

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let us know when you decide what to get, I'm personally invested in the outcome at this point :grinning-squinting-face:
LOL

so im thinking about the sps it from BRS with the 2 kessil and the 2 48 bars to start and probably add another kessil at some point. I will use the box that allows me to connect the strips to the apex! still tbd im going to decided in a day or 2

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a kessil fanboy, and not to make your decision more difficult, but have you considered the reefbreeders photon fixtures? I've heard great things about them and they're more "all in one" whereas kessils really need accompanying LED bars to prevent significant shadowing

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a kessil fanboy, and not to make your decision more difficult, but have you considered the reefbreeders photon fixtures? I've heard great things about them and they're more "all in one" whereas kessils really need accompanying LED bars to prevent significant shadowing
I have, Im chasing the shimmer of when i used to have halides, I see lots of radeons used in a lot of the youtube videos BRS, WWC, i see some shimmer but not like the halide look.

Im still conseriding the AI blades, Glow and a grow or glow glow or grow grow.

Im not sure whats the better option between ai and reef breeder bars.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, Im chasing the shimmer of when i used to have halides, I see lots of radeons used in a lot of the youtube videos BRS, WWC, i see some shimmer but not like the halide look.

Another “bar option” that is very very good is quanta bars

Gonna also throw another suggestion for the photon fixtures. Minimal shadowing from an array based edge to edge fixture compared to point based, puck style light sources. The pucks will need bars as supplemental to create more even coverage, but styles like the photon don’t need the bars unless you have a very deep tank (front to back) or tons of sps that cause light blockage, or need more light than just from above

Photon with water surface agitation provides even coverage, full spectrum control + some shimmer.

IMO they are worth reconsidering and looking into more. Halide was 150w or 250w in a 3” point source of light. LED had that power spread out over the fixture to reduce hot spots in the tank and provide better coverage, and tunable spectrum, and dimming/ramping schedules. LED will not look exactly like halide. There are trade offs but they have a lot of advantages, and regarding shimmer they can deliver, but yes it’s a little less pronounced. Pros and cons to everything, this decision becomes a personal one

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m actually considering adding an orphec bar on the front of my tank angled towards the center, I really like how thin they are and feel like it’ll be a non-intrusive and affordable way to compliment the kessil

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually considering adding an orphec bar on the front of my tank angled towards the center, I really like how thin they are and feel like it’ll be a non-intrusive and affordable way to compliment the kessil
Those look nice. I like the idea of the reef breeders or AI blades because of the ease of the mounting system.

I thinking of doing the extra 360x right away just to get it over with when i do my hood.

Im wondering about the lunar mode and the apex. it looks like your cant control lunar mode with the kessils with the apex or i could be wrong.

I see apex makes a seperate lunar controller, or maybe i can use the strips for lunar?

I really want to get this all figured out before i make a purchase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back