New Tank Setup Lighting Decision

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So After a crazy amount of reading, videos and research I've narrowed down my selection to a few items and would appreciate if everyone could help me make a decision!

Tank is 48 x 23.5 x 21 tall, I want to do a true mixed reef setup, and I love some good shimmer in the water and want to use the led bars to supplement and I will be running an apex as well)

With the 3 options of leds Im either going to do 2 48in AI Blades (control super easy throug apex) or 2 48in Reef Brite led strips (can dim but not much control) with the corresponding mount.

Option 1: Two Kessil ap9x
Option 2: 3 or 4 a360X
Option 3: 3 Hydra 32's

I'm leaning toward the AP9x's mounting them I the the Bar fixtures would require some tweaking but i'm not too concerned about it.

am i on the right track?

Thanks!

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to run 4 ai primes on a tank with almost the same dimensions. I love the look of the ai primes and for the price they do a great job especially if you do a mixed reef. If you have more of a budget I would go with the radions.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran two cheap Visparspectra 165w on my 48” 65g.
$300 now 5 years running.
Light is light provided it’s in the correct spectrum peaks.

Add two 48” T5’s ($175) for a great hybrid at under $500.
1-Antinic 420nm and 1-Blue plus 460nm
IMG_0115.jpeg

Vjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So After a crazy amount of reading, videos and research I've narrowed down my selection to a few items and would appreciate if everyone could help me make a decision!

Tank is 48 x 23.5 x 21 tall, I want to do a true mixed reef setup, and I love some good shimmer in the water and want to use the led bars to supplement and I will be running an apex as well)

With the 3 options of leds Im either going to do 2 48in AI Blades (control super easy throug apex) or 2 48in Reef Brite led strips (can dim but not much control) with the corresponding mount.

Option 1: Two Kessil ap9x
Option 2: 3 or 4 a360X
Option 3: 3 Hydra 32's

I'm leaning toward the AP9x's mounting them I the the Bar fixtures would require some tweaking but i'm not too concerned about it.

am i on the right track?

Thanks!
Hello, I would go with a360x.

Hydra's have issues with lens burning and fan issues. AP9X is great but you won't need that high par levels for a mixed reef.
That being said, I have a brand new Kessil a360x with mounts for sale.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to run 4 ai primes on a tank with almost the same dimensions. I love the look of the ai primes and for the price they do a great job especially if you do a mixed reef. If you have more of a budget I would go with the radions.
So I thought about doing this setup its seems great for a mixed reef you could stagger all the lights and adjust them independently, but I dont think the primes give off the shimmer im looking for, I used to run halides 10 years ago when i got into the hobby.

Two AP9x with light bars would be a great option for a mixed reef.

Any of the options you listed are solid.

Thanks for the reply, The bulk reef supply videos helped me want to go this route. mounting may be tricky I want to do a custom hood but I think it would work out fine.

Your tank looks great but I think I want spectrum control and integration into an apex for remote monitoring and such!

Hello, I would go with a360x.

Hydra's have issues with lens burning and fan issues. AP9X is great but you won't need that high par levels for a mixed reef.
That being said, I have a brand new Kessil a360x with mounts for sale.

The 360's are very temping as well i could run 2 wifi dongles and do seperate control of 2 banks. How many do you think would work 3 or 4? also they would mount really easy to either light bar option. Im going to look into the 9x issues!

Thanks for everyones responses, looking forward to getting more into this thread!

BLU J

Vjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought about doing this setup its seems great for a mixed reef you could stagger all the lights and adjust them independently, but I dont think the primes give off the shimmer im looking for, I used to run halides 10 years ago when i got into the hobby.

Thanks for the reply, The bulk reef supply videos helped me want to go this route. mounting may be tricky I want to do a custom hood but I think it would work out fine.

Your tank looks great but I think I want spectrum control and integration into an apex for remote monitoring and such!

The 360's are very temping as well i could run 2 wifi dongles and do seperate control of 2 banks. How many do you think would work 3 or 4? also they would mount really easy to either light bar option. Im going to look into the 9x issues!

Thanks for everyones responses, looking forward to getting more into this thread!

BLU J
So a a360x covers 24x24 so theoretically speaking, 2 should be enough but if you feel like 2 has a lot of empty spaces then I would add one more. And yes they should be pretty easy to mount either with individual mounts or a light bar.

Best of luck with your build.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One photon 48 could get you started with even coverage the full tank length and the bars could always be added down the line if you need them

Attachments

• 726D9F08-12F4-4A51-A9C9-44DD89A45ECF.jpeg
    726D9F08-12F4-4A51-A9C9-44DD89A45ECF.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a a360x covers 24x24 so theoretically speaking, 2 should be enough but if you feel like 2 has a lot of empty spaces then I would add one more. And yes they should be pretty easy to mount either with individual mounts or a light bar.

Best of luck with your build.
Thank you

I guess what I’m torn about is the 9x I guess is 2 single 360’s built in? I really like the look of the 360.

One photon 48 could get you started with even coverage the full tank length and the bars could always be added down the line if you need them
That looks very nice is there any wifi or spectrum control? 0-10v?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi and it has an app. Full spectrum control. 6 channels. Comes with both tank mount and hanging kit included. Silent too, the whole body is an aluminum heat sync, there are very very quiet fans that come on if needed but I never hear them. The top of the unit has slot rails built in that supports mounting the light bars down the line if you want, but I doubt you’d need them. This covers my entire 48” tank evenly

Full power par listed below, nobody runs it at 100% though. My tank pic above is around 35-40% with white channel on 8%.

B77ED8DB-37D1-4B38-912A-3896970000D8.png 43043DC4-E2CA-4EEA-9961-8C37E41B4880.jpeg

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you want to save some money and give up the app, the v2+ is 750$ and comes with a remote control for programming that gives full control. Once you set the schedule it saves it internally and will run it each day

I believe you can buy the wifi upgrade kit to add the app on in the future if you wanted it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wifi and it has an app. Full spectrum control. 6 channels. Comes with both tank mount and hanging kit included. Silent too, the whole body is an aluminum heat sync, there are very very quiet fans that come on if needed but I never hear them. The top of the unit has slot rails built in that supports mounting the light bars down the line if you want, but I doubt you’d need them. This covers my entire 48” tank evenly

Full power par listed below, nobody runs it at 100% though. My tank pic above is around 35-40% with white channel on 8%.

looks very nice!

I have to do some research on it. are those the reef breaders light bars on it too?

I think im leaning toward 2 or 3 kessil a360X.

But now do I do the blade bars or the reef brite.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks very nice!

I have to do some research on it. are those the reef breaders light bars on it too?

I think im leaning toward 2 or 3 kessil a360X.

But now do I do the blade bars or the reef brite.

Yes the pic I attached is the reefbreeders lumen bars but other brands can be attached as well

Check out battlecorals (their website and forum posts) their whole sps facility is reefbreeders photons and arguably one of the best sps vendors in the industry

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 4 Radion Gen 5 Blues and last year added 3 Kessil 360a. I put a kessil in between each radion. I love the shimmer the Kessils add...

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0115.jpeg
Ive been running mine for 3 years on my 25 gallon absolutely love viparspectra. i have an older and newer fixture, I run the new fixture with the old fixtures timer, the new timers are horrid 10% minimum on the dimming is just to high for the white channel. I have expressed my concerns to the manufacture and hope they make adjustments. Untill they do i will no longer recommend viparspectra to any one.

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 4 Radion Gen 5 Blues and last year added 3 Kessil 360a. I put a kessil in between each radion. I love the shimmer the Kessils add...
What size is your tank?

I’m leaning toward doing 3 360’s instead of 2 ap9x. I think 2 ap9x will be too much light for I’m doing a mixed reef. Some people say there are issues with melting on the 9x I’m going to look for that tonight.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank?

I’m leaning toward doing 3 360’s instead of 2 ap9x. I think 2 ap9x will be too much light for I’m doing a mixed reef. Some people say there are issues with melting on the 9x I’m going to look for that tonight.
Thought I'd mention a more err "off brand" solution.
Nicrew.
Can be controlled by your Apex (lights larger than the 30).
Dirt cheap compared to your other options.
Do a bit of digging on it.

They are only 2 channel though ("blue" and "white")
Kessils have a bit more flex with the violet,red,green add on whatever added.
Hydra 32 have the most granular control of the color.
$450 vs $1200. What that granular control costs..

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with two Kessil 360x Tuna blues and two 48” reef Brite bars. The reefbrites do most of the work.
IMG_4428.jpeg

I saw this literally an hour ago on BRS how big is your tank? I think this is a great bundle. I dont know if i should adda third kessil or not.

Im also torn between doing the reefbrites or blades. the blades come out to more money i believe. they have that coral glow one which is more purple.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back