Kessil + Reef Brite to Radion Conversion

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m currently running a a360x + dual reef Brite combo on my 24x24x24 cube tank. The a360x peaks at 60% and the reefbrites are set to maximum intensity.

I had the kessil years ago and loved it, but I find the a360x shimmer to be a bit too much for my eyes and it makes me a little dizzy
/disoriented while looking at the tank for more than a few minutes. I really like the light combo and spread, but I suffer from migraines and have sensitive eyes and the kessils just aren’t as enjoyable as I remember them because of this issue.

I picked up a Radion XR15 g6 to try out and im going to mount it on the kessil arm I already have. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a par meter.

If you were in this boat, what would you start the radions at to avoid issues? Any suggestions on acclimation duration?

thanks in advance!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also use the acclimation mode which I believe starts the light at around 50% and gradually increases the intensity so you don't have to.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
60-65% intensity running any of the default template. I run my G5s @75% with a modified radiance template.
Thank you! I thought the par should be similar between the radion and the kessil + reef brites, but wanted some other opinions.
Could also use the acclimation mode which I believe starts the light at around 50% and gradually increases the intensity so you don't have to.
That’s what I was hoping. I haven’t gotten to play with it, but I always enjoyed the kessil acclimation mode that lets you set the beginning and ending intensities and the number of days to ramp up over.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Since your motivation to upgrade the lights stem from visual discomfort, I recommend that you get the radion diffuser as well. It smoothes the shimmer to a more manageable level and will clear out some of the light separation that otherwise exists.

As for PAR, a single XR15 will work fine on a mixed reef with more LPS/softies. You will need an XR30 if you are more heavily into SPS.

That is my personal experience using an XR15 G5 on an IM25 lagoon.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since your motivation to upgrade the lights stem from visual discomfort, I recommend that you get the radion diffuser as well. It smoothes the shimmer to a more manageable level and will clear out some of the light separation that otherwise exists.

As for PAR, a single XR15 will work fine on a mixed reef with more LPS/softies. You will need an XR30 if you are more heavily into SPS.

That is my personal experience using an XR15 G5 on an IM25 lagoon.
I contemplated the Radion XR30 because I do want some more SPS down the road, but I think I’d rather do two XR15s since they’d be a little more flexible for future tank desires. My SPS I have all mounted pretty high to allow for some LPS on the lower rock work.

Also thought about getting the bracket for the reef brites and adding them to the sides of the radion. So many options—I really need to buy a par meter next so I can see what I’m getting.

Good tip on the diffuser, I’ll check that out! Thanks!

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently running a a360x + dual reef Brite combo on my 24x24x24 cube tank. The a360x peaks at 60% and the reefbrites are set to maximum intensity.

I had the kessil years ago and loved it, but I find the a360x shimmer to be a bit too much for my eyes and it makes me a little dizzy
/disoriented while looking at the tank for more than a few minutes. I really like the light combo and spread, but I suffer from migraines and have sensitive eyes and the kessils just aren’t as enjoyable as I remember them because of this issue.

I picked up a Radion XR15 g6 to try out and im going to mount it on the kessil arm I already have. Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a par meter.

If you were in this boat, what would you start the radions at to avoid issues? Any suggestions on acclimation duration?

thanks in advance!
73A22F63-53BD-4B06-82EE-5BBE02CF643C.jpeg

just food for thought since I’m running similar lighting. I started with kessil with reflectors, then added reefbrites, then an xr 30 g5 about a year ago… all have done very well and I like the spread. 4 ft tank.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you interested in selling the a360x? I'm looking for 2 more tuna blue for my system.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you interested in selling the a360x? I'm looking for 2 more tuna blue for my system.
I contemplated it, but I’m just going to keep it for the moment. I may use it for a frag tank down the road and for what they fetch used id rather just keep it in my closet for a rainy day than have to buy another light down the road full price. Thanks for the offer though.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contemplated it, but I’m just going to keep it for the moment. I may use it for a frag tank down the road and for what they fetch used id rather just keep it in my closet for a rainy day than have to buy another light down the road full price. Thanks for the offer though.
Gotcha. I've done the same.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back