KESSIL VS CHINESE BLACK BOX

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! I'm still debating just pulling the trigger and buying the kessils.. for the clean look, simplicity, and all the success stories. The main thing stopping me is blowing another 100 on a little controller.. with that money you could buy a bb light that comes with a controller.. just seems like they are trying to milk the most money they can out of you. Do you think it's necessary to have the controller with the kessils?
I personally use the Bluefish controller. But a controller is not necessary. The only reason you need a controller is if you want to ramp up and ramp down the lights in the morning and in the evening. Otherwise a simple on off timer works great.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not really a fair statement. I have kessil's only on my tank, and i've had great growth out of all my corals. No supplement lighting at all. My Jedi Mind Trick Monti and my Red Cap Monti and my Reverse Superman Monti have tripled in size over the past few months.
This is my Reverse Superman Monti when I first got it.
l4vOEUfl.jpg

This is an older picture taken about a month ago
UMj1TRDl.jpg

I'll try to snap a picture tonight when I'm done with work. But all my SPS corals are doing great under just Kessil lights only.

Show me some sticks! Fluval lights can sustain montis, I'm talking acros,efflos, millis.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me some sticks! Fluval lights can sustain montis, I'm talking acros,efflos, millis.
Tri Color Acropora day one

C0rsXSnl.jpg

Tri Color Acropora 3-4 weeks later
YEp9r8zl.jpg

Strawberry shortcake acro. I don't have any before pictures, but this guy was tiny when I first got him.
CYPLzpSl.jpg

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no colony shots?
The corals are only a couple months old and still growing out. The tank is 2 years old, and I've only had the kessils since november-ish of last year and started adding sps corals not to long after that. . But I just wanted to show that Kessil's can handle them.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no colony shots?
qtu5j1h.jpg

BC5MSZD.jpg

Blackbox'd
The corals are only a couple months old and still growing out. The tank is 2 years old, and I've only had the kessils since november-ish of last year and started adding sps corals not to long after that. . But I just wanted to show that Kessil's can handle them.
Lighting wars!! Woot woot!!!
Hahaha.

Fwiw, ive seen corals grown with a Home Depot 48k full spectrum led.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting wars!! Woot woot!!!
Hahaha.

Fwiw, ive seen corals grown with a Home Depot 48k full spectrum led.
Not trying to start a war, just saying Kessil's are good lights, and he's basically saying I'm a ******* idiot for owning them.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no colony shots?
C'mon man, saying kessils can't grow colonies now. That's a bit ridiculous. No need to call others out. Kessil makes an awesome light, especially the AP700. What's next, because radion users have T5 supplement then that means they alone can't grow coral colonies? I use halide and T5 so I guess with your logic my halides can't grow colonies alone? Give me a break. These lighting wars are getting old.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to start a war, just saying Kessil's are good lights, and he's basically saying I'm a ******* idiot for owning them.
Lol. It's all in good fun I hope everybody knows it.
I think we'd all do the same in person over a beer.
I know the seasoned reefers do. Macna last year was a HOOT!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. It's all in good fun I hope everybody knows it.
I think we'd all do the same in person over a beer.
I know the seasoned reefers do. Macna last year was a HOOT!
I'm hoping to be able to make it to MACNA next year. I missed this year unfortunately :(

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping to be able to make it to MACNA next year. I missed this year unfortunately :(
It's a hoot man. Very scientific, lots of commercial hype and the old guys giving each other flack about their lights , dosing , alk, and where' the next macna at. Lol.

Yea, I'll see you in vegas.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never been to macna, only reefapalooza. Sounds like fun salty
I'm going to my first palooza next month. Orange County Ca.

For the op, it can be a great place to see lights and gear in person.
Last year I hit just about all of them and made them show me all the colors and intensity and such.

And yea, I chose a 250 light over a 800 one.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@elisa h Did ALL you Guys forget the little Lady.
elisa a short time ago i too was looking for my first Led lights and it was very confusing and i stumbled into the same battle fields , as you can see all the lights will perform, get what you like, I went with Kessils and bought the controller but now i never use it, did you check out the videos at bulk reef supply and marine depot , good place to start. FYI i just bought 2 Radion xr15's for a frag tank i'm building, check out the videos. good luck

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C'mon man, saying kessils can't grow colonies now. That's a bit ridiculous. No need to call others out. Kessil makes an awesome light, especially the AP700. What's next, because radion users have T5 supplement then that means they alone can't grow coral colonies? I use halide and T5 so I guess with your logic my halides can't grow colonies alone? Give me a break. These lighting wars are getting old.
I really like the look that kessil gives and I agree all these lights that you commented on grow coral just fine. Our halides/t5s are awesome. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Reeferguy365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that tank you would only need one black box and I would go with the viparspectra or bloomspect they are both on Amazon and qualify for Amazon prime I use 2 of the bloomspect's over my 180 and they work great. I run my blues at 100% and my whites at 12% my sps is growing and lps look great
20170914_140214.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back