KESSIL VS CHINESE BLACK BOX

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently purchased an approximately 30 tall and 30 wide 90 gallon hex tank (my first saltwater tank). I know the dimensions are not ideal but the deal was way too good to pass up. My question is is there really that much of a difference between say the kessil a360w ($400) compared to a cheaper light such as lightimetunnel ($100)? I only want to keep softies, zoas, and some lps. I could afford the kessil but it is hard for me to justify $400 for a light and it's not like I'm trying to keep high demand sps coral. Also, the dimensions of my tank have me wondering if I could get away with one light if I made a deep sand bed and just refrained from putting coral near the edges and bottom of the tank? I would love some advice!! Thank you

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Personally I like my Chinese Black Box LEDs but I'm sure that Kessil owners will tell you that the difference is huge. Before I bought the Black Box, I had a cheap LED so it was great in comparison. Honestly, they grow softies, zoas, and lps great in my tank. I'm sure there are benefits in getting more expensive lights but it's up to you to decide what you want for your tank. Look at some videos comparing the Black Boxes to Kessils and that may help.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short no. They both grow corals.
IMO with a larger source of light you have less shading and better coverage. Oops. Not opinion. Fact.

You can do two or three no frull mars aqua for about 180$
Look at sbreeflight and reefbreeders. Very good USA sellers. Quality products. Plenty of ranges in price. Also look for used.

The Benifit of the BB they have a LOT of power. You can raise for better spread or pull lenses or grow high ligh corals or keep the intensity down and go low light and save cash on your electric bill.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! If you're looking to keep soft and lps corals the black box works fine. I myself have a pair of Kessil's and love them. But black boxes work just as well for all types of coral

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my black box tank.
IMG_0185.JPG

Softies only? I think not.

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Personally I like my Chinese Black Box LEDs but I'm sure that Kessil owners will tell you that the difference is huge. Before I bought the Black Box, I had a cheap LED so it was great in comparison. Honestly, they grow softies, zoas, and lps great in my tank. I'm sure there are benefits in getting more expensive lights but it's up to you to decide what you want for your tank. Look at some videos comparing the Black Boxes to Kessils and that may help.

Thanks for helping! What light do you personally use?

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short no. They both grow corals.
IMO with a larger source of light you have less shading and better coverage. Oops. Not opinion. Fact.

You can do two or three no frull mars aqua for about 180$
Look at sbreeflight and reefbreeders. Very good USA sellers. Quality products. Plenty of ranges in price. Also look for used.

The Benifit of the BB they have a LOT of power. You can raise for better spread or pull lenses or grow high ligh corals or keep the intensity down and go low light and save cash on your electric bill.

With my dimensions (30 tall by 30 wide) how would I go about placing two lights above my tank? I know they wouldn't fit side by side without major spill over so would front and back work just as well? Thank you

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my dimensions (30 tall by 30 wide) how would I go about placing two lights above my tank? I know they wouldn't fit side by side without major spill over so would front and back work just as well? Thank you
Its 30x30dx? What's the other dimension. It's a cube?

Depending n the manufacturer they come with legs. Mine I hung from the ceiling. Some folks make a bracket from the back of the stand. Some folks use decorative wall plant hangers. I have a canopy on the other tank I just cut holes in the top of.

On the tank pictured I hung a curtain. Basically a soft version of a "floating canopy" as it's called. A hood that attaches to the wall basically.

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot to mention the tank did come with 150 watt metal halides.. maybe I could use those in combination with some bb leds? Not sure how attractive they would look together on top of my tank though.. lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. It would be cool but yea. Might take away from the nice "furniture quality" of a tank.

A Bb is generally 8x16 if that helps visualize the size.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out there that there are black boxes with 2 year USA warranties. Also throwing it out there that mine have been going without issue for over 2 years. Be happy with whatever light you want to go with but you certainly dont have to drop crazy coin on good lights.

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping! What light do you personally use?

No problem! I personally use the Galaxyhydro 165W Black Box but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have WiFi control capability. I've had it for around 7 months and nothing's burned out so far.

OP
OP
elisa h

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 30x30dx? What's the other dimension. It's a cube?

Depending n the manufacturer they come with legs. Mine I hung from the ceiling. Some folks make a bracket from the back of the stand. Some folks use decorative wall plant hangers. I have a canopy on the other tank I just cut holes in the top of.

On the tank pictured I hung a curtain. Basically a soft version of a "floating canopy" as it's called. A hood that attaches to the wall basically.

It's a hexagon tank. I lost my measuring tape so I'm not exactly sure of the width but I'm guessing around 20". But the length of the tank is only 30 inches so that's why I wasn't sure if I could hang two lights over it

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I would consider black box's over my 48x24 frag and my 40 breeder QT tank. I simply couldn't justify the price of much else. They are the ocean revive units. I also work at a store where we use kessil over everything. I think the only area the kessil out shines the black box is features(nice to have but not necessary), build quality, and shimmer.
I am very happy with my black boxes. Once you consider pricing, it's pretty difficult to argue for kessil.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back