Kevin's 125G Cadlights build

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have much to show, but I figured I may as well get a thread started that I can gradually add to over time.

I've been saving for awhile to get the build that I want, currently I just have a 29g biocube.

I decided to go with the 125G Cadlight because I really like the size, 59"x24"20 (and one of the my favorite parts of the biocube is that it's shallow in comparison to larger tanks).

I was relatively happy with my Cadlights experience. The tank was shipped in very good condition. There have been some horror stories, but it looks like they're stepping it up and trying to improve in some areas. Customer service is not one of those, however.

I decided to not get the skimmer/return pump because I already knew what I wanted, why not save the cash? I added the light hanging kit to my order, and was also told I'd be getting one of the new standard sized tanks (they're usually metric, being a Canadian company).

However, when my tank arrived I had a skimmer, a return pump, no hanging light and metric plumbing/overflow holes. Quite frustrating. It was quite an effort to make contact with them and get everything resolved, but I'm happy with the quality of the tank and the sump.

For now, I've only got a few cell phone pictures of the tank. It's sitting around until I can pick up the rest of the equipment.

Equipment list:
1. Return
Ecotech Vectra L1 (still on preorder, hopefully they ship soon)
2. Skimmer
Vertex Omega 180I. This skimmer is a beast, seems to be very, very well made and is quite heavy. I was so impressive by the construction I decided I wanted to use Vertex for my calcium reactor.
3. Sump
Tank comes with a 40g glass sump (the return section is large, so I'm going to add a sheet of acrylic and use half of it as additional refugium space)
4. Powerheads
Maxspect Gyre 150 (not sure if I need 2 of these, but I think I will want it, the pulse action videos I've seen online look amazing). If I need more flow after the 2 Gyres, then I might consider the WAV for the Apex.
5. Lighting
Currently have 2x Radion Pro's waiting (going to see if I can get away with 2 if I raise them a bit. Will consider getting another one if needed after I save up some more cash).
6. Reactors
Vertex RX-C 6D Calcium Reactor (I've never been good with dosing, and have always had alk/ca problems with my biocube. I decided to get a calcium reactor to make things a little more stable.)
7. Controllers
I have an apex with all the standard probes/breakout boxes. Still need to get the reeflink/maxpsect controller modules. I use the Apex DOS for continuous water changes.

Fish list and everything else - I'm not sure yet, this is something I'm still thinking about. It will be a mixed reef tank, though

21616221175_fc00cd37ef_z.jpg

21625067691_128ee67b81_z.jpg

21428137800_6b93d8ac8f_z.jpg

kid976

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm thinking about getting the same setup. It's between the 125 or 100.

salty01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be awesome tank! I wanted that exact tank but I was a little nervous being that I am only six months in the hobby so I went with the hundred gallon artisan II Cadlight. It also fit perfectly into The space I had for the tank. I really wanted to go super high-end with all equipment but but again I don't want to blow a bunch of money to only to find that I suck at this hobby and I can't keep anything alive, so far so good. Six months is taught me a lot but I absolutely love this Tank I would love to continue to see what you do with it and how it comes out.
You'll be happy to know I live in Southern California and have been to the Cadlight warehouse, their a group of nice gentleman and take care of there customers.

meganias123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as well* I've been looking at these tanks for a little while now, thinking of upgrading from a 36gal to one :) So far I have heard several mixed reviews... most people changed out the skimmer (some complained about the original cadlights skimmer about it being bad quality and overflowing, being overrated (gallon wise) etc; others talk about how silent it is and that it works well). Anyways, I'm looking at the 125 and 150 Artisan II's... Was wondering if you could post some updated pics and info on your experience so far? How is the 2 radions working for you - or did you have to add on some lighting? Oh, and one last thing: did you get the Eurobracing around the top? If so, how does it look? I haven't been able to really get a good look at the 125/150 gal Eurobracing [emoji14]

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing -- the glass eurobrace seems solid, but I haven't put water in the tank yet. I won't be home for a few days, but I'll post some pictures of the eurobrace once I get back. I've been busy, haven't even started plumbing the tank yet (been waiting for the rest of my equipment first).

My rock is cycling as we speak, I hope to start plumbing the tank next week maybe.

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple not-so-good-photos of the eurobracing.

Sidenote:
Hectic few days here in the NW, huge windstorm knocked out the power and it has been out in my area for a couple days now. Luckily, I ran to the store immediately get a generator right when it happened and was able to save my bio cube. I've heard horror stories of tanks crashing (freshwater also) . Always have a dedicated UPS for your heater and at least a battery powered air pump with air stone to oxyginate/move some water! I just hate hearing stories like this.

Remember, reach out to other reefers BEFORE your tank is about to crash, they may just be able to help or let you store the livestock in a warmer environment.

20151118_225154.jpg

20151118_225107.jpg

meganias123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures and the info! We usually don't lose power for more than an hr at most but you never know... I also have a generator stored up just in case :) that Eurobracing looks pretty good... I had only about a 5" by 12" open cut at the top of my 36 gallon bowfront when I received it... wouldn't have been able to put much of the LR and everything in it if I hadn't cut a bigger opening. Even now it's a pain to clean the bowed acrylic with the opening I made... so the pics of the Eurobracing really relieved some anxiety I was having (wondering how far out the bracing went). :D

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post some measurements later. I haven't tried mounting them yet, but I'm crossing my fingers that my sea swirls will be able to accomodate the gap -- I think they will.

The glass panels that come with the tank lay on the eurobracing, and cover the tank 100% -- which is another nice thing I never knew I wanted.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same skimmer and love it! and yeah...it is a beast. I splurged and got the neck cleaner...so nice not having to get up in there and have to keep it clean.

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the vertex? I didn't know they had an auto neck cleaner..I'll have to look into that. I want my setup to as fully automated as possible..thanks!

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried setting up my tank this past weekend and cracked a bulkhead. The hole is 7/8" and a bulkhead that will fit it isn't sold anywhere. Might have to wait a month to get it setup since CADLights doesn't have it in stock right now (who would use such a PIA sized bulkhead anyways). I don't have much good to say about their company right now. Hope to get some updates out there soon, though.

redtigrinus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm thinking about getting the same setup. It's between the 125 or 100.

Same here. I have a standard 90 gallon but I'm not happy with it. I too like the shallowness of these tanks and the accessibility and I agree that though the quality of the tanks are good their customer service could definitely use work.

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried setting up my tank this past weekend and cracked a bulkhead. The hole is 7/8" and a bulkhead that will fit it isn't sold anywhere. Might have to wait a month to get it setup since CADLights doesn't have it in stock right now (who would use such a PIA sized bulkhead anyways). I don't have much good to say about their company right now. Hope to get some updates out there soon, though.

The fittings are a major headache once I got past that it was smooth sailing and I was happy with it. Best of luck

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to get as much of my plumbing done as possible, until the 7/8" bulkhead arrives.

Return manifold -- I wanted it to be flexible enough just in case I want to plumb in another reactor or something in the future. It has 4 ball valves in total.
20151229_222020.jpg

Shot of the return manifold + primary drain w/gate valve
20151229_222253.jpg

Last edited:

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it schedule 80 it is thick enough that you can probably drill a larger hole to fit a larger PVC slip connection, maybe 1/2" pvc slip.

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, that looks like it might actually fit! I was tightening the bullkheads on my own and didn't realize it wasn't on the threads straight while I was tightening it -- so it snapped. All of the other 1/4" bulkheads i've found required a hole larger than 7/8".

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.5%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.0%
Back