Rating - 0%
0   0   0

meganias123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mesh does look great but you could probably do just as well with a DIY... hahaa, my thoughts after seeing that price. But thats just me being... conservative *cough* cheap *cough* ;P

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it seems ridiculously expensive. I've actually tried building the DIY frame kit that BRS has on an older tank, and it didn't turn out very well (I had a really hard time getting the netting tight, so it drooped in the center, which was usually in the water).

I may try the BRS kit first since it's substantially cheaper @ 56$.

MakoManc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts on your build so far? Any regrets as far as choosing a different return pump setup? I'm interested in getting the same setup as yours with some different lights. Are you happy with how everything's turned out? Would love some updated pics

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going well (the initial setup was a headache due to the crappy bulkheads and metric fittings). As long as I don't have to replace anything, it's great.

My only complaint right now is the lack of a side door on the stand, and the design of the 40g sump.

There isn't much room in the stand after the sump(especially after adding in the Thieling rollermat). I've been thinking of getting a new sump that is outside of the stand, so that I can actually have some arm room. Only problem, is the current sump will be stuck (guess I could use it as a QT).

I also wish the sump was designed a little different.
Currently it's something like this
-----------------------------------------
|return | baffle |baffle |skimmer |

The center baffle splits the center section into two that are around 4" wide. I really wish it wasn't there, so I could use it as a fuge with chaeto.

I'll take some photos later this evening to show you what I mean.

I've also updated my lighting about 6 months back.
I now run six 60" t5ho's and two radion gen3 xr30 pros .
I do feel like the Vectra L1 return might be a bit small, and that the flow through the sump is lacking. This is something I'll worry about later, was thinking of trying out the Apex flow monitor module on it.

Other than that, just learning about reefing. I've had a couple near tank crashes.

Ich got me once (didn't know what it was), lost a decent amount of fish. I now run a giant UV.
I got red flatworms from a LFS, and a decent amount died off after an alk spike which poisoned the tank. I lost a decent amount of corals.

Still fighting off those dang flatworms though, I've added several fish who naturally eat them -- but obviously they don't feel like it.

Overall, still happy with the tank.

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going well (the initial setup was a headache due to the crappy bulkheads and metric fittings). As long as I don't have to replace anything, it's great.

My only complaint right now is the lack of a side door on the stand, and the design of the 40g sump.

There isn't much room in the stand after the sump(especially after adding in the Thieling rollermat). I've been thinking of getting a new sump that is outside of the stand, so that I can actually have some arm room. Only problem, is the current sump will be stuck (guess I could use it as a QT).

I also wish the sump was designed a little different.
Currently it's something like this
|return | baffle |baffle |skimmer |

The center baffle splits the center section into two that are around 4" wide. I really wish it wasn't there, so I could use it as a fuge with chaeto.

I'll take some photos later this evening to show you what I mean.

I've also updated my lighting about 6 months back.
I now run six 60" t5ho's and two radion gen3 xr30 pros .
I do feel like the Vectra L1 return might be a bit small, and that the flow through the sump is lacking. This is something I'll worry about later, was thinking of trying out the Apex flow monitor module on it.

Other than that, just learning about reefing. I've had a couple near tank crashes.

Ich got me once (didn't know what it was), lost a decent amount of fish. I now run a giant UV.
I got red flatworms from a LFS, and a decent amount died off after an alk spike which poisoned the tank. I lost a decent amount of corals.

Still fighting off those dang flatworms though, I've added several fish who naturally eat them -- but obviously they don't feel like it.

Overall, still happy with the tank.
Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about your issues, but it sounds like you have learned a lot! Probably another stupid question, but did you QT your fish and coral before putting them in the display? I'm in the process of building QT tanks now, so wondering if they didn't help. On your pump, you had shown you built a manifold (which looked awesome by the way) are you still using it? Do you think the pump was under powered for it. I get what you are saying on the baffling in the sump. It would have been nice if they made them removable. Any idea how you got the alk spike? Thanks for letting me learn from your oops's, but it's MUCH appreciated, and even with your issues I'm totally jealous of your setup!

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time I never QT'd coral or fish. I'm not so sure it would have helped me at the time since I didn't really know what to look for in the first place (would I have noticed ick or a couple flatworms?).

I actually just setup my first QT last month. My most recent fish (angel swallowtail) was going to sit in there for 4 weeks prior to going into the display. After two weeks she developed popeye, and she's currently being treated. Great time to start a QT, eh?

The alk spike was because I had ran out of 2part for my dosers. So I quickly mixed up a new batch and manually overdosed the tank (I usually let it rest overnight to settle). Alk spiked from about 6.5 to 9. For a couple days the tank was in rough shape, I thought it was alk burn. However, once I realized there weren't as many flatworms in the tank I immediately did a massive water change and put a ridiculous amount of carbon in the display which ended up saving many of the corals.

I see the value in QT corals, but I don't really have the space. I dip 100% of corals as an alternative. I'll make sure my next house has room for this, though. :)

I wish I would have started out with a doser, it would have made things so much easier. That's all I would change.

And thanks! Took forever to save for the tank, but the dimensions are spot on.

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time I never QT'd coral or fish. I'm not so sure it would have helped me at the time since I didn't really know what to look for in the first place (would I have noticed ick or a couple flatworms?).

I actually just setup my first QT last month. My most recent fish (angel swallowtail) was going to sit in there for 4 weeks prior to going into the display. After two weeks she developed popeye, and she's currently being treated. Great time to start a QT, eh?

The alk spike was because I had ran out of 2part for my dosers. So I quickly mixed up a new batch and manually overdosed the tank (I usually let it rest overnight to settle). Alk spiked from about 6.5 to 9. For a couple days the tank was in rough shape, I thought it was alk burn. However, once I realized there weren't as many flatworms in the tank I immediately did a massive water change and put a ridiculous amount of carbon in the display which ended up saving many of the corals.

I see the value in QT corals, but I don't really have the space. I dip 100% of corals as an alternative. I'll make sure my next house has room for this, though. :)

I wish I would have started out with a doser, it would have made things so much easier. That's all I would change.

And thanks! Took forever to save for the tank, but the dimensions are spot on.

Nice timing on the QT tank! I'm with you that I don't know if I would recognize it either, but I'm planning out a QT tank for both coral and fish....I'm extra cautious and paranoid. I'm trying to do research now so that I'll recognize it down the road, but who knows if I'll recognize it when the time comes. You stated you would have gotten a dose from the start....I was thinking of just using kalkwasser in my ATO to start since any coral will be tiny initially. Would I still need a doser? Thanks for the advice!!

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're going to have to start monitoring alk/ca relatively quickly. Especially since you'll wanting to start adding a bunch of corals, but take it slow.

IMO I would rather dose 2 part then mix kalk with my ATO. I'm assuming it would be more stable and consistent, which is what matters in the end (this is just my opinion).

I use 2-part from BRS. 1 gallon of 2 part (alk/ca) lasts me about a month and a half (about 70ml of each per day). I have a calcium reactor that I will be setting up in the next couple months, hoping it will save costs over the long term as well as increase stability and consistency.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-kit-pre.html

If you do start researching dosers, just know that the price fluctuates quite a bit. The higher priced dosers can dose accurately to .1ml increments (useful for dosing color programs) while cheaper dosers (such as jebao) only dose down to 1ml increments.

You could get a cheap jebao 2 head doser for 75$, which would be fine for alk/ca. It's just easier, more stable and convenient for me (just be sure to take the appropriate measures and try to plan for equipment malfunction).

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you're going to have to start monitoring alk/ca relatively quickly. Especially since you'll wanting to start adding a bunch of corals, but take it slow.

IMO I would rather dose 2 part then mix kalk with my ATO. I'm assuming it would be more stable and consistent, which is what matters in the end (this is just my opinion).

I use 2-part from BRS. 1 gallon of 2 part (alk/ca) lasts me about a month and a half (about 70ml of each per day). I have a calcium reactor that I will be setting up in the next couple months, hoping it will save costs over the long term as well as increase stability and consistency.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2-part-calcium-alkalinity-kit-pre.html

If you do start researching dosers, just know that the price fluctuates quite a bit. The higher priced dosers can dose accurately to .1ml increments (useful for dosing color programs) while cheaper dosers (such as jebao) only dose down to 1ml increments.

You could get a cheap jebao 2 head doser for 75$, which would be fine for alk/ca. It's just easier, more stable and convenient for me (just be sure to take the appropriate measures and try to plan for equipment malfunction).

Thanks again for tag advice. From what I've read, you are totally correct that stability is the key. I just hadn't thought if needing a doser right away, but I agree it would be easier, and make a vacation easier. Which brand did you go with?

OP
OP
Klaw2474

Klaw2474

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kind of an Apex nerd, so I went with the Apex DOS. It's expensive and bulky, honestly not sure if I'd go with it again. I think there are other dosers out there with 4 heads that can dose down to .1ml for the same price (DOS has 2 heads and a decent footprint). I do love being able to program it via apex though, so that's worth something.

Mark-Stover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering the Apex Jr, but the full Apex is a bit more than I really want to spend. Still, it certainly does sound like a robust way to go. I'll start looking for other dosers as what you have said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all your help and advice. It's sure nice to know all of you are here as I think the more I learn, the more questions I have. My journey has officially started as my RODI system arrived today.

Back