KH Director Waste Line Measurements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my KH Director keeps telling me that my waste line container is full. It is no way measuring the ml correctly. Do I just need to recalibrate this line? Any tips? Can I do this from the GHL app or do I need to do this from my computer?

@Vinny@GHLUSA

#KHDirector #ghl

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own one but I remember watching the video and it said you had to reset the waste container counter when you empty it. I assume you set the waste container size in the software and then the dosing pump info keeps adding up until it knows the amount extracted would have filled the container. Did you reset the container counter?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @vangvace said, check your container settings.
If there is a difference between what the app shows is in the waste container versus what you actually see in there, then yes, that means the head should be re-calibrated.

You don't need the windows computer to do this. It can be done through the app.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @vangvace said, check your container settings.
If there is a difference between what the app shows is in the waste container versus what you actually see in there, then yes, that means the head should be re-calibrated.

You don't need the windows computer to do this. It can be done through the app.

I just recalibrated both the waste line as well as the sample line. Going to run a couple of tests today and see how it measures up. Will let you know. Thanks!

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a test after recalibration. KH tested at 12.9. It's been testing at around 8.5 daily (6X a day for the last week). Gonna run another test in a little bit to see whether the whole KH Director needs to recalibrate itself or something. Hmm.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran another test. It's at 9.2 dKH. Running one last test and then going to measure what's in the waste water container and compare against what GHL Connect says...

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third test came out at 9.2 dKH. Wast water says it should be filled with 552ml when it actually only contained 417ml. Any suggestions on what to do here? @Vinny@GHLUSA

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water sample pump did not need calibration because it has nothing to do with the fill level of the waste water pump.

Did you manually run a test to see if it dispenses the amount you tell it to dispense?
If not, you can do that by going to the settings for that pump and pressing the "Dose now" button in GCC or "Dose" button in the app. In the app, just make sure you have "Dose specific amount" selected.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vinny@GHLUSA I still can't get an accurate reading on the waste water container. It's alerting me that it's full when it's not. It's probably about 30% off. How can I correct this?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you manually run a test to see if it dispenses the amount you tell it to dispense?
If not, you can do that by going to the settings for that pump and pressing the "Dose now" button in GCC or "Dose" button in the app. In the app, just make sure you have "Dose specific amount" selected.

Did you do the above?
What were the results?

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI
The difference will also be caused as a precautionary measure because the device will extract the old water from the cell before a new test begins. The drain function will also run a bit longer to make sure all the water is extracted. During this process, air will be mixed in with the water and this is also measured in the waste water fill calculation.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the waste pump runs before the actual measurement and after the measurement always a bit longer than the theoretical remaining amount would be to make sure there is really no water anymore in the cell, in that time it pumps also air. Just watch the measurement process closely, then you see what I mean.
Also the added reagent must be pumped out.

The pump can not not know if it pumps water or air, so the filling level for the waste container will be increased in both cases.

-> all is correct

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@esther in light of all the above comments. What size container are you using for waste? I use a 1 gallon container and empty it at about half way usually. It takes a five days for it to get that full. I also don’t track my container size for waste. Having a large container and going into the cabinet regularly I can see when I need to empty it. Just some food for thought.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@esther in light of all the above comments. What size container are you using for waste? I use a 1 gallon container and empty it at about half way usually. It takes a five days for it to get that full. I also don’t track my container size for waste. Having a large container and going into the cabinet regularly I can see when I need to empty it. Just some food for thought.

It's about 70oz. The issue is my Type A, OCD personality. When I see I measurement, I want it to be exact. lol

I'll adjust the measurements as close to the right measurement as I can. Thanks!

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to say that I have exactly the same issue. I have a 5.000ml waste container and get an alarm saying it is full when it probably is only about 3/4. I guess the only thing to do is try to sort of guess a theoretical value and increase the size of the container in the app...?

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to say that I have exactly the same issue. I have a 5.000ml waste container and get an alarm saying it is full when it probably is only about 3/4. I guess the only thing to do is try to sort of guess a theoretical value and increase the size of the container in the app...?

That's what I've been doing. No ideal, but I don't really have an alternative.

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the subject of incorrect volumes, I got an alarm from the reagent saying It only had 49mls left in the bottle. I poured the contents into a graduated cylinder and in fact I still had 76ml... When I calibrate the pump it runs for one minute and at speed 0 it gets to what it looks like 5mls. But when I tell it to dose 20mls in the end the cylinder reads 19mls, not 20mls. This is a 5% difference that in order to correct I would need to be able to input 4,75mls into the calibration value which is not possible... 5% in a 500ml would be 25mls, which is not far from the 27mls difference from the stated reagent left - 49ml - and the actual measured 76mls. I wonder how this 5% difference related to calibration affects the KH measurement...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back