KH Director with Calcium Reactor ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

reeferisland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do not own the KH Director but are thinking of purchasing one. We currently use a calcium reactor and do manual alkalinity tests and adjust either the CO2 bubble count or the Kamoer pump manually. We also have a Profilux 4 PH probe in the calcium reactor that keeps the PH in the reactor within a range by turning off the PAB switch for the CO2 regulator as needed.

After reading in the KH Director manual my understanding is that the KH Director will monitor the PH in the reactor and change the setpoint in the Profilux to maintain the alkalinity. If so, is this method just as effective as the way we do it now, which is by adjusting the CO2 bubble count or the Kamoer pump to increase/decrease alkalinity? We are using ARM coarse media in the reactor.

Last edited:

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We do not own the KH Director but are thinking of purchasing one. We currently use a calcium reactor and do manual alkalinity tests and adjust either the CO2 bubble count or the Kamoer pump manually. We also have a Profilux 4 PH probe in the calcium reactor that keeps the PH in the reactor within a range by turning off the PAB switch for the CO2 regulator as needed.

After reading in the KH Director manual my understanding is that the KH Director will monitor the PH probe (is the current probe left going into the Profilux or does it now go into the KH Director?) and change the setpoint in the Profilux to maintain the alkalinity. If so, is this method just as effective as the way we do it now, which is by adjusting the CO2 bubble count or the Kamoer pump to increase/decrease alkalinity? We are using ARM coarse media in the reactor.

The KHD monitors Alk with its own probe that goes into the side of the unit. If you want it to control your calcium reactor you use another pH probe in your calcium reactor that is monitored by your Profilux P4. Based on the Alk reading the KHD takes and the pH probe info in the calcium reactor it will lower or raise the internal pH of the calcium reactor with the use of a solenoid valve on your co2 tank. So basically the KHD tells the P4 to lower the pH in the calcium reactor and the P4 will turn the solenoid to the CO2 on/off to reach the desired internal pH of the calcium reactor deduced by the KHD....if that makes sense. You would basically set your effluent output steady and the KHD will determine how to adjust the internal pH of the calcium reactor with a co2 solenoid to make a more Alk rich effluent.

OP
OP
R

reeferisland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The KHD monitors Alk with its own probe that goes into the side of the unit. If you want it to control your calcium reactor you use another pH probe in your calcium reactor that is monitored by your Profilux P4. Based on the Alk reading the KHD takes and the pH probe info in the calcium reactor it will lower or raise the internal pH of the calcium reactor with the use of a solenoid valve on your co2 tank. So basically the KHD tells the P4 to lower the pH in the calcium reactor and the P4 will turn the solenoid to the CO2 on/off to reach the desired internal pH of the calcium reactor deduced by the KHD....if that makes sense. You would basically set your effluent output steady and the KHD will determine how to adjust the internal pH of the calcium reactor with a co2 solenoid to make a more Alk rich effluent.

Thanks. Do I leave the Profilux setup for the present PH probe in the calcium reactor that I have set up now, the same?

Last edited:

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reeferisland
The pH probe inside the calcium reactor is your primary means of controlling it. If the KHD determines your KH level needs adjusting, it will automatically make that adjustment to the control settings of the pH probe in the calcium reactor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back