Kicking ich - Day 1 vs. Day 5 -

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past week has been something else reefers, but all is looking well.

Purchased from the LFS and all seemed well. Got home to the QT tank she went and the moderating began. Monday night into Tuesday, she must’ve been stressed. I woke the next morning to her having a bad outbreak of what I assumed to be ich.

I immediately dosed accordingly with Fritz Coppersafe and tested to a T. I let it sit Tuesday, Wednesday (tested), Thursday I noticed the white spots were dissipated or aka I could see less on the fish! Great sign! I added some drops of Fritz Coppersafe due to being low and tested again. Friday - a water change of 50% clearing away as much bottom debris as I could. Today is Saturday as well as Day 5 and she’s fought one heck of a battle (we’re still fighting this together). I did another water change knowing that I could remove more of the potential parasite. I cleaned the bottom again and added some fresh saltwater to the QT. I then “to be safe” did another Coppersafe treatment. (the tiny white you see in the most recent pic. is a Mysis shrimp leftover)

She’s eating well and is very active. She’ll be in QT for a few more weeks from here. I’ll do more water changes on Monday and again on Wednesday. I will begin to decrease the amounts of Copper via. my water changes, slowly acclimating to just fresh saltwater.

A few weeks in nothing but known fresh saltwater and I’ll see about the transfer to the DT! This is a first for me. My fingers are crossed she’s built a great immunity to it and will do well from here. Just wanted to share with you R2R fam!

811221BC-2895-46FC-8284-FA3CD53F42C7.jpeg 3BC3FF22-A454-41D1-89B2-3933E7B0C91A.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Purchased from the LFS and all seemed well. Got home to the QT tank she went and the moderating began. Monday night into Tuesday, she must’ve been stressed. I woke the next morning to her having a bad outbreak of what I assumed to be ich.

I immediately dosed accordingly with Fritz Coppersafe and tested to a T. I let it sit Tuesday, Wednesday (tested), Thursday I noticed the white spots were dissipated or aka I could see less on the fish! Great sign! I added some drops of Fritz Coppersafe due to being low and tested again. Friday - a water change of 50% clearing away as much bottom debris as I could. Today is Saturday as well as Day 5 and she’s fought one heck of a battle (we’re still fighting this together). I did another water change knowing that I could remove more of the potential parasite. I cleaned the bottom again and added some fresh saltwater to the QT. I then “to be safe” did another Coppersafe treatment. (the tiny white you see in the most recent pic. is a Mysis shrimp leftover)

She’s eating well and is very active. She’ll be in QT for a few more weeks from here. I’ll do more water changes on Monday and again on Wednesday. I will begin to decrease the amounts of Copper via. my water changes, slowly acclimating to just fresh saltwater.

A few weeks in nothing but known fresh saltwater and I’ll see about the transfer to the DT! This is a first for me. My fingers are crossed she’s built a great immunity to it and will do well from here. Just wanted to share with you R2R fam!

811221BC-2895-46FC-8284-FA3CD53F42C7.jpeg 3BC3FF22-A454-41D1-89B2-3933E7B0C91A.jpeg
Congrats - so just to understand you're planning on treating with therapeutic copper for about 30 days? Good work btw

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats - so just to understand you're planning on treating with therapeutic copper for about 30 days? Good work btw

Thank you MnFish1! I definitely want to continue with QT for the just in case factor. I’m very happy with all thus far and definitely an advocate for QT.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @MnFish1 and statement above. It's also important to note that if doing water changes on a QT, that can lower the copper level below therapeutic. (unless you use water change water with same copper levels). IF Copper levels drop below minimum therapeutic level that resets the 30 day treatment clock.

Best explained from the expert on how to properly treat with copper.

https://humble.fish/copper/

As much as I like using copper, it can be harsh and even deadly to sensitive fish. I have also had 100% success using the TTM method. It is more work but just as effective for ICK treatment.

https://humble.fish/tank-transfer-method/

WHen you do your reading research, you will learn ICK has a cycle. It may disappear from fish however it's in the tank (and "WILL" come back in next stage of cycle)/ Nothing can remove ich from a QT except proper copper treatment or full tank sterilization. Be careful not to use any tools or get the QT water near your DT or the ICK will infect your other tank. ICH is invisible when not on the fish. One drop of QT Ick containing water, or even the mist can transfer to other non-contaminated tanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @MnFish1 and statement above. It's also important to note that if doing water changes on a QT, that can lower the copper level below therapeutic. (unless you use water change water with same copper levels). IF Copper levels drop below minimum therapeutic level that resets the 30 day treatment clock.

Best explained from the expert on how to properly treat with copper.

https://humble.fish/copper/

Correct. Yes I do know about the levels dropping and that’s why I’m frequently testing. I’m a huge advocate for water changes on a DT, so I’m even more of an advocate to water changes for a QT tank. Clean water, happy fish. With water changes I redose my Coppersafe and again test and test again.

I may not be following the directions exactly as they see for on the bottle, but I’m also not allowing 30days to pass without a w/c. I know the lifecycle/stages of the parasite, so my plan of attack is a different approach. We’ll have to see how it goes and if her and I come out on top!

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Yes I do know about the levels dropping and that’s why I’m frequently testing. I’m a huge advocate for water changes on a DT, so I’m even more of an advocate to water changes for a QT tank. Clean water, happy fish. With water changes I redose my Coppersafe and again test and test again.

I may not be following the directions exactly as they see for on the bottle, but I’m also not allowing 30days to pass without a w/c. I know the lifecycle/stages of the parasite, so my plan of attack is a different approach. We’ll have to see how it goes and if her and I come out on top!
Wishing you all the best. That's a beautiful fish. Update this thread when both of you get thru this successfully.

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you all the best. That's a beautiful fish. Update this thread when both of you get thru this successfully.

Will do and Thanks from the both of us! I watched this Pygmy Angelfish for a good 45mins. @ the LFS and she was a beaut. Her colors very dynamic and the light blue pinstripe was as well, just vivid. She was nervous a little bit, but pecking away at the rockwork etc., I made the purchase b/c she’s a perfect addition to the aquarium and I was seeking a fish to add for weeks.

I’ll certainly update R2R with the progress. Pictures don’t do justice for her. She’s eating everything I’ve fed to her and swimming much more openly in the QT tank. Fingers crossed! #happyreefing
Season 2 Fingers Crossed GIF by The Leftovers HBO

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do and Thanks from the both of us! I watched this Pygmy Angelfish for a good 45mins. @ the LFS and she was a beaut. Her colors very dynamic and the light blue pinstripe was as well, just vivid. She was nervous a little bit, but pecking away at the rockwork etc., I made the purchase b/c she’s a perfect addition to the aquarium and I was seeking a fish to add for weeks.

I’ll certainly update R2R with the progress. Pictures don’t do justice for her. She’s eating everything I’ve fed to her and swimming much more openly in the QT tank. Fingers crossed! #happyreefing
Season 2 Fingers Crossed GIF by The Leftovers HBO
Well, you reacted fast, your beauty Pgymy Angel will do well. She looks not only pretty but even from the photo looks to have a nice shy but friendly, curious personality. Ick is very treatable when caring owners like you take care of them properly and most importantly do QT which unfortunately not everyone does.

I suffer more than the fish when I see them sick, at least it feels that way to me as I wait and hope to see signs of improvement. Hours feel like days, and days feel like weeks and I keep checking in on their health. Interestingly, when a sick fish is cured and successfully makes it to DT to become part of the community....it becomes even more special.

All the best.

WallyB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Day 6 - I’ll update later down the road. Maybe the 16-20 day mark, then again at the 30 day mark. She’s a beautiful fish!
@WallyB @MnFish1

With many of the disease(s) - its important to start treatment quickly. You did that - and have had success thus far

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can do a water change and then just add copper back

45 days at 81 degrees F is the minemum

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can do a water change and then just add copper back

45 days at 81 degrees F is the minemum
The key - is when you do the water change - have the copper in the water already. i.e. lets say you have a level of x.x copper in your QT tank. When you do the water change - make sure that the water you add back has the x.x copper concentration. Do not add fresh saltwater and then add copper to the tank.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 days of copper ? Where did that extended time come from always did 30

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
45 days of copper ? Where did that extended time come from always did 30
The copper is 30 days - and the fallow period for the display tank is (can be) 45 days at 81. During the last 15 days - the fish would be in regular 'salt water'

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copper is 30 days - and the fallow period for the display tank is (can be) 45 days at 81. During the last 15 days - the fish would be in regular 'salt water'

That doesn't make sense. The copper doesn't shorten the life span of the cycle. In that case, 30 days fallow at 81 would be enough

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That doesn't make sense. The copper doesn't shorten the life span of the cycle. In that case, 30 days fallow at 81 would be enough
Well - yes - it does. Since it kills free-swimming CI, it does shorten the lifespan - by killing the free swimming parasites. IN a fallow tank there is no copper - and encystment times can be longer. And - I was just quoting the recommendations.

1. If you treat a fish with copper you should treat it for 30 days.
2. If you leave a tank fallow - you can do 76 days (while the fish is in normal saltwater in another tank) - or you can try 45 days at 81.

Copper does not shorten the lifecycle of CI in a tank containing Fish - except that it kills all the free swimming ones. So - they will not encyst. and to my recollection - weakens those that are encysted In a fallow tank - there is no copper. So - there is a chance that an encysted parasite can last longer.

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Successful transfer to the display tank.

With a couple days now in the DT, the Pygmy was welcomed by all. Truly believe it was a “stress ich” development and she has recovered very well (only time will tell us now). She’s swimming freely and openly throughout the aquarium.

She’s very adventurous, exploring nooks and crannies of the aquascape. The yellow watchman goby puts up a stance to his cave, but has welcomed the Pygmy angel to the other half of the cave for overnight dwelling. They share the cave now!

All my livestock seems to have welcomed the new addition with open fins. I wish the best upon them as I watch them grow.
5F30CBD0-285A-4B89-9ADA-5C96447B354C.jpeg
1C2DBEB2-98D4-435E-83BC-AEFC524FB64E.jpeg
E47610B6-FF32-4A9E-AE47-6B2CE5749AEA.jpeg
F19FDFCC-CEFF-4790-8423-CE78B77FBA5A.jpeg
9A7E4350-8DE3-4AE5-8942-CA232EE9CF78.jpeg
6FA483FC-1AEE-4CCC-899F-C81D29D0671E.jpeg

OP
OP
bReefedBaker

bReefedBaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*UPDATE*
I wanted to come back and just update all that are on this thread or have been following.

This little fish is something else! Very active and looking healthy. I couldn’t be more happy with the successful QT this guy had. Enjoying the reef

Attachments

• 57F862B5-2D0D-4488-A468-749A4B69E9DA.jpeg
    57F862B5-2D0D-4488-A468-749A4B69E9DA.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 0E2133F4-A229-44D9-8931-F8FC4480EF2C.jpeg
    0E2133F4-A229-44D9-8931-F8FC4480EF2C.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24
  • C4B893D8-7F09-4829-BB22-D0304C3CF84D.jpeg
    C4B893D8-7F09-4829-BB22-D0304C3CF84D.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 30

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%

Back