Killer Cleaner Shrimp!!!???

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunch is pellets from an auto-feeder; a 50/50 mix of NLS Marine Fish and NLS AlgaeMax.
Dinner is varied - flakes one night, then frozen the next night - 2 different kind of flakes.
NLS Optimum Flakes and Omega One Super Veggie.
So frozen say Monday, Tues Optimum flakes, Wed frozen, Thurs Super Veggie and so on.
And Nori Wed and Sat.

Frozen I make my own mixing a variety of Hikari and PE products, mix them together with some Selcon and freeze in a mini silicone tray (no rinsing) - 1/4" cubes.
5 fish get one cube for dinner every other night - one of my cubes is packed tight enough to equal about 2 regular 1/4" store-bought cubes.

I just toss all their feeding into the tank at once while the MP10s are running high and it blows everywhere - broadcast feeding - this way everyone gets a chance to grab something, and it gives them a workout/a reason to zoom around instead of just milling about.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lunch is pellets from an auto-feeder; a 50/50 mix of NLS Marine Fish and NLS AlgaeMax.
Dinner is varied - flakes one night, then frozen the next night - 2 different kind of flakes.
NLS Optimum Flakes and Omega One Super Veggie.
So frozen say Monday, Tues Optimum flakes, Wed frozen, Thurs Super Veggie and so on.
And Nori Wed and Sat.

Frozen I make my own mixing a variety of Hikari and PE products, mix them together with some Selcon and freeze in a mini silicone tray (no rinsing) - 1/4" cubes.
5 fish get one cube for dinner every other night - one of my cubes is packed tight enough to equal about 2 regular 1/4" store-bought cubes.

I just toss all their feeding into the tank at once while the MP10s are running high and it blows everywhere - broadcast feeding - this way everyone gets a chance to grab something, and it gives them a workout/a reason to zoom around instead of just milling about.
Wow I’m sure your fish love you! I feel like a jerk now after hearing how you feed your fish :D

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't necessarily need a varied diet, I just do it 'cause I can.
In the wild, fish eat algae, crustaceans and other fish (plus plastic and whatever else we dump in the ocean)
Just do your best to give them 'healthy' food, and enough that your shrimp gets some.

JohnA26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe my cleaner killed and ate 2 new fish a royal gramma and a psudochromis diadema. Saw nothing in regards to the gramma, but as soon as I let the psudo into the tank, the shrimp went after it. A few days later the fish had a mark on his side, sort of like a bite/scar. Then 24 hours later half eaten with the shrimp and a snail sharing it. CRAZY!!!! Don't know what to do now. any suggestions?

taylorwac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced a Diamond Goby to my tank. He was small and became very thin. I assumed this was mostly due to shock. He had started moving about more sifting sand and would swim up to catch pellets or frozen food. He looked like he was doing better. Yesterday after work I found him dead. Initially I thought he had starved to death, but now I am wondering if the shrimp killed it. Thoughts?

newbereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked. I just witnessed my skunk cleaner shrimp attack and kill a perfectly healthy peppermint shrimp! Held it there as it tore at its stomach area where the tail connects. Then quickly drug it into the rocks. What the?!!! I thought they were supposed to be peaceful. I'm considering getting rid of him now. I will never look at him the same again. Hahahahahahahaha it happened so fast but I managed to snap a crummy photo of him dragging the peppermint into the rocks.
Screenshot_20230324_111158_Gallery.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back