Killer Cleaner Shrimp!!!???

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had experience with skunk cleaner shrimp killing a perfectly healthy sea hare?
I got a sea hare last evening from a buddies system that had tons of algae. The sea hare was in his system for over a month, eating and growing. Cleaned him out actually, so I can safely say it was a healthy specimen. Our parameters are very similar, almost exactly the same actually. Salinity and temps are exact.

Well, just a few minutes after acclimation it was happily munching on algae, cruising around the tank. I watched it for a few minutes as my wrasse and tang checked it out. But they didnt mess with it at all. Eventually they went back to their regular routine.
20 minutes later the sea hare was still munching ans cruising. Well, I noticed the cleaner shrimp had now taken interest in the new guy. They were pacing around right behind it. Following it. Sometimes they would crawl up on it, but that is pretty normal for them, so I figured whatever.

Then, all of a sudden I notice 2 of the 3 shrimp on top of the hare while he is still cruising actively eating, except now they are digging around inside of the hares "breathing holes" kind of tearing at it.
I took my net and scared them away a couple times to the other side of the tank. This went on for a couple hours. The sea hare didn't seem overly concerned, as it was still eating and moving around. So I went to bed not thinking too much of it. Until I got up thins morning!

I noticed all of the cleaner shrimp congregated around a "rock" on the sand..... Well, it wasn't a rock! They were eating the sea hare! They had torn away the entire back side of it and exposed the hard inner shell part of it! Needless to say, the sea hare was dead.

Now that I thought about it, my last sea hare that was doing just fine for weeks in my system a few months ago mysteriously died overnight and I could see the shell exposed....

I looked back in my records and it was within a couple days of introducing the same group of cleaner shrimp!!!!

Am I crazy? Or are these things known to attack and kill cucumbers?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever had experience with skunk cleaner shrimp killing a perfectly healthy sea hare?
I got a sea hare last evening from a buddies system that had tons of algae. The sea hare was in his system for over a month, eating and growing. Cleaned him out actually, so I can safely say it was a healthy specimen. Our parameters are very similar, almost exactly the same actually. Salinity and temps are exact.

Well, just a few minutes after acclimation it was happily munching on algae, cruising around the tank. I watched it for a few minutes as my wrasse and tang checked it out. But they didnt mess with it at all. Eventually they went back to their regular routine.
20 minutes later the sea hare was still munching ans cruising. Well, I noticed the cleaner shrimp had now taken interest in the new guy. They were pacing around right behind it. Following it. Sometimes they would crawl up on it, but that is pretty normal for them, so I figured whatever.

Then, all of a sudden I notice 2 of the 3 shrimp on top of the hare while he is still cruising actively eating, except now they are digging around inside of the hares "breathing holes" kind of tearing at it.
I took my net and scared them away a couple times to the other side of the tank. This went on for a couple hours. The sea hare didn't seem overly concerned, as it was still eating and moving around. So I went to bed not thinking too much of it. Until I got up thins morning!

I noticed all of the cleaner shrimp congregated around a "rock" on the sand..... Well, it wasn't a rock! They were eating the sea hare! They had torn away the entire back side of it and exposed the hard inner shell part of it! Needless to say, the sea hare was dead.

Now that I thought about it, my last sea hare that was doing just fine for weeks in my system a few months ago mysteriously died overnight and I could see the shell exposed....

I looked back in my records and it was within a couple days of introducing the same group of cleaner shrimp!!!!

Am I crazy? Or are these things known to attack and kill cucumbers?

Take a picture of the shrimp and post it here please.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have algae in your tank? Anything for the sea hare to easy?
Tons of algae. Both GHA and a bit of older bryopsis... I watched it actively eat the algae, so unless it was starved to the point of death before I put it in the tank and it was just a coincidence, something killed it overnight. The reason I believe it was the cleaner shrimp is the fact that I witnessed them picking at the inside of the breathing holes fairly roughly soon after its introduction.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a picture of the shrimp and post it here please.
3 of these dudes... All from the same order and put in at the same time. Not sure if that makes a difference?

20170226_153742.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people keep these guys but I had a similar experience with one and my acans. It "picked" at the acans after a feeding and darn near killed one of them. Since then I wont keep any shrimp. I used peppermints once to get rid of aiptasia but afterwards, back to the store they went.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful once the cleaners start trying to reproduce... usually tanks will wind up with only 2 cleaners left due to the dominant pair killing any others

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he's under fed? Sorry about your sea hare.
I suppose that's always a possibility? But I do fed fairly heavy a couple times a day. One of the contributing factors to my algae problem I'm sure. I observe them eat every time I fed as well. But it is a very distinct possibility.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably killed it. I added a cleaner to one of my tanks and it ate all my stomatella snails.

OP
OP
Fish Werx

Fish Werx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They probably killed it. I added a cleaner to one of my tanks and it ate all my stomatella snails.
While Ive never observed the cleaner shrimp attack and eat any other invert in the tank I have seen some peppermint shrimp eat my stomatellas as well... So, I wouldnt put it past any of the shrimp to predate on less mobile critters in the tank.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it! We just had an experience with a skunk cleaner shrimp attacking a newly introduced carpet anemone. The nem was only in the tank for a few hours and still a little stressed from the move and the shrimp walked right up to its mouth and ripped out a piece of its filaments and started eating it- Right in front of us! We quickly put the shrimp in a breeder net jail, but the nem retracted instantly and looked terrible for a few days. Wouldn't attach well, gaping mouth, inflating and deflating,etc. It's still alive, but now we are treating it with antibiotics in a hospital tank to help it recover. I never thought a cleaner shrimp would be that bold! Needless to say, the shrimp is going into another tank before the nem is re-introduced [emoji58]

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I was involved in the original thread ...

Not all Cleaner shrimp sold as cleaners are True cleaners. Cleaners are Lysmata amboinensis
Camels are Rhynchocinetes durbanensis

Camels will eat pretty much anything in your tank, where cleaners will hang out and pick at your corals/fish for scraps.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I was involved in the original thread ...

Not all Cleaner shrimp sold as cleaners are True cleaners. Cleaners are Lysmata amboinensis
Camels are Rhynchocinetes durbanensis

Camels will eat pretty much anything in your tank, where cleaners will hang out and pick at your corals/fish for scraps.
So basically all shrimp will harass the coral?:rolleyes:

Back