Killing Pocillopora...with fire?

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I had a large Green Pocillopora in my 90 gallon, had a couple pieces spread, nothing drastic, definitely manageable. When I upgraded, I am assuming the stress of the upgrade caused some Polyp Bail Out. Now I have it just about every where. I've tried to superglue over them (limited success), tried to epoxy over them (just too many to properly do) and tried Kalk Paste and Aiptasia X (again limited success, kills 90% of the coral, but some polyps remain and recover). There are some rocks in my tank that I just can not remove, so will be sticking with the Kalk Paste Program, however I do have a few rocks that I can remove that are pretty badly invested. Knowing that everything else hasn't really worked and given it is a such a pain to remove, what are the thoughts of putting on a N95, safety glasses and taking a Butane Torch to them?

Poc.png

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I had a large Green Pocillopora in my 90 gallon, had a couple pieces spread, nothing drastic, definitely manageable. When I upgraded, I am assuming the stress of the upgrade caused some Polyp Bail Out. Now I have it just about every where. I've tried to superglue over them (limited success), tried to epoxy over them (just too many to properly do) and tried Kalk Paste and Aiptasia X (again limited success, kills 90% of the coral, but some polyps remain and recover). There are some rocks in my tank that I just can not remove, so will be sticking with the Kalk Paste Program, however I do have a few rocks that I can remove that are pretty badly invested. Knowing that everything else hasn't really worked and given it is a such a pain to remove, what are the thoughts of putting on a N95, safety glasses and taking a Butane Torch to them?

Poc.png
You're a Canuck! Send them to me lol! Can't find it here in Ontario for the life of me...what's one more invasive species in my tank lol. I'll pay shipping!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tool is freaking awesome!

I use it to blast Majanos off LR by just getting the LR above the waterline long enough to cook them... like vaporizer them.

The cans of fuel to recharge them are a lil expensive.... but a full charge keeps this thing lit for a good 30-60 min runtime/ burn time. If you only use it in 2min burns, it'll last quite a long time

Search Amazon for "mini torch"

41tGeEFAqQL._AC_SY580_.jpg

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frank’s F Aptasia seems to stick better than Aiptasi X, and creates a more solid lasting cover. Found it at Sustainablemarine in Ontario.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or just bleach them.

OP
OP
phillybean

phillybean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did it, seems like I survived, no signs of illness or sickness at all. Had my second Pfizer shot today so I'm sure if that makes me sick I'll be paranoid it was something toxic. Seems like it worked well, took out some Vermetid snails while at it, they "popped" while on fire.

53.png

54.png

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use vinegar. Put a few drops on the offending spot, let it sit for a few minutes and it won't return.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back