Kinda in between a rock and a hard place due to being a high school student

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a high school student and reefing is expensive! I’m close to being legally allowed to work in a few months so there’s that but in the meantime I’m trying to work out a stocking plan. I am considering QT’ing with CP and prazi with 2, 20g longs. My issue is cost and being in school. I’m pretty much gone from 8am-4pm. One option is buying pre QT’d fish from places like marine collectors or Dr.Reef. I had the idea to just get a pair of clowns and some gobies plus some cheap fish. Of course I don’t have 250 to drop on a yellow tang but a scopas or Kole tang is more feasible. Another option was to just have one fish like a Picasso trigger and some CUC (I know it will eat inverts but I’ve seen many times where they leave inverts alone). It’s a 5ft 130g tank. A positive to this is that I can take things slow for my bacteria to catch up and the new additions to settle in well.

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Budget reefing is all about the R2R market, craigslist, and fb
On a massive budget I'd suggest funneling that qt budget into getting quality liverock from a local reefer, a good skimmer, and decent lighting and just buying pre-qt fish.
it’s an already established system with corals and 3 types of coralline and 2 types of sponges. I’m super lucky with the bio part of my tank and the equipment is high end. Price was super good for what I got it too. Just have to put fish in it now lol. I’m trying to see if QT’ing myself will be cheaper in the long run as apposed to buying Pre Qt’d

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure I can find some cheap options for corals and fish there
It's also great for secondhand tanks and equipment. Skimmers are pretty indestructible aside from occasionally replacing the pump. LED tank lights also age quite well and are reasonable to buy secondhand at a 25-50+% discount oftentimes. People getting out of the hobby regularly dump their extra salt and support items locally. Petco has a big new tank price sale a few times a year and a big salt sale a few times a year. As another reefer on a budget I empathize. Local coral swaps are also great for saving a buck or 2

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a high school student and reefing is expensive! I’m close to being legally allowed to work in a few months so there’s that but in the meantime I’m trying to work out a stocking plan. I am considering QT’ing with CP and prazi with 2, 20g longs. My issue is cost and being in school. I’m pretty much gone from 8am-4pm. One option is buying pre QT’d fish from places like marine collectors or Dr.Reef. I had the idea to just get a pair of clowns and some gobies plus some cheap fish. Of course I don’t have 250 to drop on a yellow tang but a scopas or Kole tang is more feasible. Another option was to just have one fish like a Picasso trigger and some CUC (I know it will eat inverts but I’ve seen many times where they leave inverts alone). It’s a 5ft 130g tank. A positive to this is that I can take things slow for my bacteria to catch up and the new additions to settle in well.
A 2o gallon QT is more than adequate. Does not need to be anything special. No light needed, no sump, etc. Just need a good hang-on or canister filter, and a heater. Just need to have a cycled filter, or be able to test ammonia daily until the QT is cycled. When you say CP, do you mean Copper or do you mean something else?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have a 20 long already for QT, the suggestion about Petco is a good one. Get it for aboutr 20 bucks.

Barrett T

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same position as you a few years ago, I bought some gear off ebay, some cheap fish at my LFS, and got some coral from a friend. Through the years I upgraded the equipment as I had more to spend.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stay away from Dr Reef if you want QTed fish, he's gone downhill and has a history of sending out sick fish. One option is to order direct from Biota, as their fish should have been exposed to minimal pathogens. Another is to get in on the FisHotel custom orders happening over on the humble.fish forums, that guy does great stuff.

Do bear in mind that if you want to go full QTed, you need to QT everything wet, unless bought pre-QTed. You'll need a separate tank 10+ feet away (as pathogens can get through the air in water droplets from pump and airstone action) to put corals and the like in.

Something else to consider: are you going to college? What happens with your tank then? What about once you, presumably, move out?

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also great for secondhand tanks and equipment. Skimmers are pretty indestructible aside from occasionally replacing the pump. LED tank lights also age quite well and are reasonable to buy secondhand at a 25-50+% discount oftentimes. People getting out of the hobby regularly dump their extra salt and support items locally. Petco has a big new tank price sale a few times a year and a big salt sale a few times a year. As another reefer on a budget I empathize. Local coral swaps are also great for saving a buck or 2
Yup been there and done that. Made the mistake of adding a sick fish that gave the tank ich and flukes ‍♂. I’m actually going to reef-a-palooza on September with my dad so I’ll be sure to get some corals. I’m mainly going to be looking for zoas and various leathers

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2o gallon QT is more than adequate. Does not need to be anything special. No light needed, no sump, etc. Just need a good hang-on or canister filter, and a heater. Just need to have a cycled filter, or be able to test ammonia daily until the QT is cycled. When you say CP, do you mean Copper or do you mean something else?
Yes I mean copper power

OP
OP
TortillaMan

TortillaMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from Dr Reef if you want QTed fish, he's gone downhill and has a history of sending out sick fish. One option is to order direct from Biota, as their fish should have been exposed to minimal pathogens. Another is to get in on the FisHotel custom orders happening over on the humble.fish forums, that guy does great stuff.

Do bear in mind that if you want to go full QTed, you need to QT everything wet, unless bought pre-QTed. You'll need a separate tank 10+ feet away (as pathogens can get through the air in water droplets from pump and airstone action) to put corals and the like in.

Something else to consider: are you going to college? What happens with your tank then? What about once you, presumably, move out?
Thanks for the advice about QTing and Dr reef. I’ll for sure check out fish hotel and biota. My father is also in the hobby with me and by the time I’m in college I’ll have everything pretty much automated down to a science. I will be at home for college and commuting. Then when I move out I’ll likely sell and downsize to a 40g tank. I do plan to either do a trade or something trade-like in the military. I maintain mid-high A’s and B’s In school so I’m not worried about that. Something I can translate into reefing is where I’d likely go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back