Would it be possable to keep a small school of atlantic blue tangs?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I was wondering if it was possable for me to keep a school of atlantic blue tangs when I upgrade(again).
This summer I'm going to be moving to anew house and going to get a large aqurium.
The plan so far I belive (possably going to change) is for it to be around 10 feet long +/- ... maybe 3 or 4 feet in deep and 30 inches tall.
This could completely change and it could be bigger.
But is it possable for me to keep a small school of them maybe 5 or 6?
The only other tangs that I know of would be my 2 current tangs (if they survive the ich) which are a sailfin and a tomie tang both about 4 inches.

I fell in love with theese guys when I went to aruba during the summer and saw several schools of them along with big lone fish while diving. I also loved how they changed from a dark blue to a white with blue highlights.

Also is it possable for them to breed? I assume they would just eat the young but they are often captive bread.

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow definitely would like to hear an answer on this one.

I would think you could have a small group of them since public aquariums sometimes have 10+ multiples of the same kind but they are also really huge. With you size of planned tank (think 700+ after I ran the calca on what it would be) I would think that it would not be an impossible since people keep multiple tangs in smaller then this tank.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that size tank I think you could definitely keep multiple. The key is managing any aggression. I would add them all at the same time.

Also I’m not sure they would school necessarily. It’s hard to get that kind of behavior in a home aquarium. They will probably just do their own thing, similar to if you had a bunch of different tangs in the same aquarium.

Cool idea though, those tangs are awesome. Good luck and start a build thread when you get that tank going, sounds like it’s going to be really cool.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back