Klein's butterfly Laying on its side, fading fast

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a newly purchased klein's butterflyfish decaying rapidly. I know there is near zero hope for the poor dude. I bought him from the LFS 24 hours ago, was acclimated to the QT tank over 45 minutes. He is lethargic, was hiding over the past 24 hours and now breathing rapidly as well as no longer swimming. It has not eaten.

It was purchased simultaneously with a Coral Beauty which is active, eating and normal.

I have not started medicating yet.

The water is 4 days old coral pro mix at 1.025
Ammonia is sitting between 0.02 and 0.05. But with the test kits being so inaccurate I wouldn't be surprised if its less.
nitrites at 0
nitrates at 0
phosphate 0
Temp 25 celsius

I realize he is likely done for, but just in case I'm missing something that I could do to help it out.

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed the water 4 days ago, put it into the qt tank 3 days ago with a powerhead, airstone and heater.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be nice to see a picture - and also the salinity of the LFS - vs your QT tank? A disease should not cause this

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tested the water in the bag, it was at 1.026.

IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see. Yes, the Kleini is moribund, you probably won't be able to save it. The big question here is was this an issue with water quality/acclimation? If so, I would think that the coral beauty (coming in from the same dealer, from the same system at the same time) would also have had issues. If the Kleini has a gill disease, like Velvet, my worry is that the coral beauty may be next. I would continue with a proper quarantine of that fish, starting with coppersafe for 30 days.

Jay

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have access to copper based medications on this side of the pond as they are highly regulated. Normally I start with Aquarium Münster Ektomor followed by Odimor and then target treat for flukes if I see any. I may reverse that if you think it's velvet.

Not sure how much weight this has, but the water they were bagged in had a distinct dirty tank smell to it.

As for acclimation, they were drip acclimated for 45 minutes at a temp of 25 degrees.

The only things new to the QT tank that could introduce a contaminate are the pipe elbows and the aragonite which is out of the same 25KG bag I have used from in previous QT'S. I change both out every time I do a QT and all were rinsed off multiple times.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't have access to copper based medications on this side of the pond as they are highly regulated. Normally I start with Aquarium Münster Ektomor followed by Odimor and then target treat for flukes if I see any. I may reverse that if you think it's velvet.

Not sure how much weight this has, but the water they were bagged in had a distinct dirty tank smell to it.

As for acclimation, they were drip acclimated for 45 minutes at a temp of 25 degrees.

The only things new to the QT tank that could introduce a contaminate are the pipe elbows and the aragonite which is out of the same 25KG bag I have used from in previous QT'S. I change both out every time I do a QT and all were rinsed off multiple times.
Aragonite must be washed well and can let off dust and smells like plaster but im not convinced on cause.
LFS water with a weird smell raises question and would like to see results of a water test from their water
I assume youre in Canada?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - I've never used Ektomor. That seems to be a peroxide salt. We have a similar product in the US, but it doesn't always work very well. Odimor seems to be a combination of copper and malachite green. That can be toxic in some cases, but I think it would work better for protozoan diseases. Neither of these contain components that are known by me to be useful against flukes. For that issue, hyposalinity or praziquantel would be better. However, I would have to defer to people in Europe that have more experience with these medications.

Jay

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aragonite must be washed well and can let off dust and smells like plaster but im not convinced on cause.
LFS water with a weird smell raises question and would like to see results of a water test from their water
I assume youre in Canada?
It was rinsed multiple times prior to going into the tank to the point where no cloudiness was noted. I'm an expat in Germany, which seems more stringent on copper regulations.

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I've never used Ektomor. That seems to be a peroxide salt. We have a similar product in the US, but it doesn't always work very well. Odimor seems to be a combination of copper and malachite green. That can be toxic in some cases, but I think it would work better for protozoan diseases. Neither of these contain components that are known by me to be useful against flukes. For that issue, hyposalinity or praziquantel would be better. However, I would have to defer to people in Europe that have more experience with these medications.

Jay

Sorry, last night I couldn't remember the name of the fluke/worm treatment. Dactymor / Cyromazine is what was recommended for worms and flukes. It will be my first time using it personally as the other 5 fish that I put through quarantine had no signs of flukes during the freshwater dips.

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As expected, the fish passed last night. When I got it out of the tank this morning, there was a transparent slime coming out of the gills. So in line with that finding, I'll treat the other fish for Velvet/Brook first.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As expected, the fish passed last night. When I got it out of the tank this morning, there was a transparent slime coming out of the gills. So in line with that finding, I'll treat the other fish for Velvet/Brook first.
Sorry to hear. In the future, for Germany, you have Sera Tremazole and Fluke solve if you need fluke treatment. Also Avloclor for ich and velvet

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. In the future, for Germany, you have Sera Tremazole and Fluke solve if you need fluke treatment. Also Avloclor for ich and velvet

I know we have Sera products available, so I'll pick some up for the next QT session. Thank you.

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brief update on the Coral Beauty, it started rapidly breathing around midday yesterday. Last night when I got home I gave it a freshwater dip and started its velvet/brook treatment as was planned using Protomor. This morning it is breathing normally and eating. Treatment continues per the instructions.

No Flukes were noted during the dip.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brief update on the Coral Beauty, it started rapidly breathing around midday yesterday. Last night when I got home I gave it a freshwater dip and started its velvet/brook treatment as was planned using Protomor. This morning it is breathing normally and eating. Treatment continues per the instructions.

No Flukes were noted during the dip.

Just an FYI - gill flukes are too small to see in dip water without a microscope, so don't rule that out completely just yet.

OP
OP
Armt350

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI - gill flukes are too small to see in dip water without a microscope, so don't rule that out completely just yet.
Flukes are definitely in the treatment list, just currently in the last priority. My thinking was flukes AFAIK, are a slow killer and with the fish having started showing symptoms yesterday makes me think it caught what the Kleinii had. The timeline leads me to think I'm dealing with something that has a timeline of about a week. This makes me think its either Brooklynella or Velvet which is the treatments I prioritized.

If you think otherwise feel free to let me know. The medication is a 6 day treatment cycle and this evening will begin day two.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back