Help! Yellow Tang Breathing Fast

reef wrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mature yellow tang started breathing heavily a few days ago and has stopped eating. I had a flame hawkfish end up dead a couple of weeks ago. I figured that he was being bullied by my two angelfish. All other fish are doing fine (for now). I have not added anything new to the tank for years. I just tested my display tank water after I broke the tank down and took the tang out. Parameters are listed below. My Alk is way low. I tested my new saltwater and found that the Alk is 5.8 so some of the display issues are from that for sure but not sure how much. Last time I tested it was 7.0 and I brought it up to 8.5 and then adjusted the doser. I've never test new saltwater before but I usually only have to do regular dosing to keep the Alk within range in the display tank. I admit that it's been a while since I test the display tank. Maybe 30-45 days ago. My PH is low at 8.0. Usually runs 8.2 or 8.4. I know that the magnesium is high but it always runs that high from the reef crystals that I use.

Any idea what is wrong with my tang? I've been treating him with general cure for almost 4 days. Nothing has changed. I'm wondering if it's a bacterial infection? He has a few dark spots on his mouth but I think that happened when he was put in the QT tank. He ran into the sides really hard a few times. Before I took him out of the display tank, he had no outward signs other then his breathing. No sign of Ich, Velvet or Brook.

Alk: 5.5
PH: 8.0
Amonia: 0
Nitrate: 0.3
Phosphate: 0.37
Calcium: 440
Mag: 1720
Copper: 0.02

Attachments

• 20240105_174929_1.mp4
    11.3 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI you've given a lot of information (which is great) - but it's difficult to put it together.
I just tested my display tank water after I broke the tank down and took the tang out.
Makes me wonder what that means. (breaking the tank down)? But - let me summarize:

1. You had a flame hawk die (any spots/symptoms, etc? how old?)?
2. Then your tang started breathing heavily - and stopped eating - but nothing new was added - and you removed it? To another tank? Did you put any medication in? EDIT - I see general cure
3. You added nothing new, and your other fish (which are?) are fine.
4. Your parameters showed a low alkalinity and high MG (which is not normal for a salt mix - are you mixing your salt before dissolving (i.e. shaking the bag, etc). Otherwise 'normal'. Did you double check the tests?
5. Unfortunately the video is not viewable on my browser - could you upload to YouTube - since that's probably the most important information. I'm not a big fan of 'general cure' - though, however, are you sure you dosed it correctly?

Tangs live to be decades old - so - there seems to be something in your tank that is a problem - Is there anything else you can think of that you've done differently? My guess is it could be due to your salt - with the parameters you have (i.e. not mixing your salt correctly or mixing the salt itself before dissolving it in the tank). Assuming your salinity is fine.

I'm also curious - why did you test copper? Is this a FOWLR?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My mature yellow tang started breathing heavily a few days ago and has stopped eating. I had a flame hawkfish end up dead a couple of weeks ago. I figured that he was being bullied by my two angelfish. All other fish are doing fine (for now). I have not added anything new to the tank for years. I just tested my display tank water after I broke the tank down and took the tang out. Parameters are listed below. My Alk is way low. I tested my new saltwater and found that the Alk is 5.8 so some of the display issues are from that for sure but not sure how much. Last time I tested it was 7.0 and I brought it up to 8.5 and then adjusted the doser. I've never test new saltwater before but I usually only have to do regular dosing to keep the Alk within range in the display tank. I admit that it's been a while since I test the display tank. Maybe 30-45 days ago. My PH is low at 8.0. Usually runs 8.2 or 8.4. I know that the magnesium is high but it always runs that high from the reef crystals that I use.

Any idea what is wrong with my tang? I've been treating him with general cure for almost 4 days. Nothing has changed. I'm wondering if it's a bacterial infection? He has a few dark spots on his mouth but I think that happened when he was put in the QT tank. He ran into the sides really hard a few times. Before I took him out of the display tank, he had no outward signs other then his breathing. No sign of Ich, Velvet or Brook.

Alk: 5.5
PH: 8.0
Amonia: 0
Nitrate: 0.3
Phosphate: 0.37
Calcium: 440
Mag: 1720
Copper: 0.02
A fish breathing fast will be due to water quality, low oxygen or disease. You have aeration and mhat suggest with clarity to be clear water.
I do see what looks like mucus cones on its body as well as dots suggesting ich is or was present. Not sure if this is a treated tank but coppersafe at 2.25 range will be needed and tested with Hanna copper test kit.
The low alk and very high magnesium will likely not cause this. Phos is very high (you want .06-1.0)
Are you using rodi water or tap water from faucet?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I stated I cannot see the video - but - if what @vetteguy53081says is correct - and I have no reason to doubt his expertise, it could be that you had Ich in your tank - and something (water change, etc) caused a larger Ice outbreak. Breathing is not normally a big issue unless it's advanced Ich - so you can take that into consideration. IF it's Ich, the suggestion would be to treat all of your fish - as compared to just the tang. The 2 fish illness - I death suggest something happened (a stress event) in the tank which has been associated with disease outbreaks - which is why I think you should try to consider anything you might have done

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big correction on DKH from 5.8 to 8.5, (hopefully done real slow). Too fast and they may weaken from stress kicking off “ick” (maybe)

Cant see video as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Big correction on DKH from 5.8 to 8.5, (hopefully done real slow). Too fast and they may weaken from stress kicking off “ick” (maybe)

Cant see video as well.
I think you're correct - many things here do not make complete sense - I would suggest the OP re-evaluate his or her tests - ie. are they accurate

OP
OP
reef wrangler

reef wrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI you've given a lot of information (which is great) - but it's difficult to put it together.

Makes me wonder what that means. (breaking the tank down)? But - let me summarize:

2. Then your tang started breathing heavily - and stopped eating - but nothing new was added - and you removed it? To another tank? Did you put any medication in? EDIT - I see general cure
4. Your parameters showed a low alkalinity and high MG (which is not normal for a salt mix - are you mixing your salt before dissolving (i.e. shaking the bag, etc). Otherwise 'normal'. Did you double check the tests?
5. Unfortunately the video is not viewable on my browser - could you upload to YouTube - since tha

Cant see video as
t's probably the most important information. I'm not a big fan of 'general cure' - though, however, are you sure you dosed it correctly?

Tangs live to be decades old - so - there seems to be something in your tank that is a problem - Is there anything else you can think of that you've done differently? My guess is it could be due to your salt - with the parameters you have (i.e. not mixing your salt correctly or mixing the salt itself before dissolving it in the tank). Assuming your salinity is fine.

5. Unfortunately the video is not viewable on my browser - could you upload to YouTube - since that's probably the most important information. I'm not a big fan of 'general cure' - though, however, are you sure you dosed it correctly?

Breaking the tank down = I had to take all the rocks out to catch the tang.

1. Hawkfish was probably around 5yrs old.

2. Put the tang on QT.

3. Other fish are: potters angel, keyhole angel, melanurus wrasse, yellow Chris wrasse, bargain cardinal, and two wheelers gobies. I've had all of them from 3 to 5 years.

4. Not sure what you mean by mixing salt before dissolving. I use instant ocean reef crystals in the 6 gallon bucket (160 gal) and scoop the salt mix from it. I weigh it out and then dump into the 55 gal mixing tank while pouring in the redirect water. I always check the salinity before using it. It's at 1.026. Didn't double check tests.

5. I'll try to upload the video to you tube but won't be able to for a few hours. Dosed general cure per instructions - 1 packet per 10 gal. 20 gal QT tank.

Tested copper just to make sure there wasn't any thing coming from my pipes. My tank is a mixed reef tank.

OP
OP
reef wrangler

reef wrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're correct - many things here do not make complete sense - I would suggest the OP re-evaluate his or her tests - ie. are they accurate

Cant see video as well.
Didn't correct from 5.8 to 8.5 but week very slowly. I was referencing the last time I checked the parameters before this most recent. Alkalinity was like 7.0 bright it up to 8.5 slowly. That was over a month ago.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Breaking the tank down = I had to take all the rocks out to catch the tang.

1. Hawkfish was probably around 5yrs old.
I am not aware of the life expectancy - but at 5 years it could be pushing it (i.e. no disease)
2. Put the tang on QT.
You mean you put the tang in a hospital tank ?

3. Other fish are: potters angel, keyhole angel, melanurus wrasse, yellow Chris wrasse, bargain cardinal, and two wheelers gobies. I've had all of them from 3 to 5 years.
Awesome
4. Not sure what you mean by mixing salt before dissolving. I use instant ocean reef crystals in the 6 gallon bucket (160 gal) and scoop the salt mix from it. I weigh it out and then dump into the 55 gal mixing tank while pouring in the redirect water. I always check the salinity before using it. It's at 1.026. Didn't double check tests.
Salt can settle different elements at different rates - I'm just making up this example - but over a couple years - the 'alkalinity' could settle to the top or bottom meaning if you make water with an old batch of salt - its hard to know what you're putting in.
5. I'll try to upload the video to you tube but won't be able to for a few hours. Dosed general cure per instructions - 1 packet per 10 gal. 20 gal QT tank.
Tested copper just to make sure there wasn't any thing coming from my pipes. My tank is a mixed reef tank.
Do you use RODI to add water -if so - you could check your TDS

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Didn't correct from 5.8 to 8.5 but week very slowly. I was referencing the last time I checked the parameters before this most recent. Alkalinity was like 7.0 bright it up to 8.5 slowly. That was over a month ago.
Thanks - assuming your tests are correct - it's probably not an issue. Note that an alkalinity of 7 is fine

OP
OP
reef wrangler

reef wrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish breathing fast will be due to water quality, low oxygen or disease. You have aeration and mhat suggest with clarity to be clear water.
I do see what looks like mucus cones on its body as well as dots suggesting ich is or was present. Not sure if this is a treated tank but coppersafe at 2.25 range will be needed and tested with Hanna copper test kit.
The low alk and very high magnesium will likely not cause this. Phos is very high (you want .06-1.0)
Are you using rodi water or tap water from faucet?
I thought that I saw ich spots on the video on his body toward the tail but then I saw that the spots were on the glass. Please look again and let me know if you still see things on his body and if so, where specifically.

I did not treat with copper. Just tested in case coppper was coming from water pipes that feed my RODI system.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is kind of an odd case - so - can you carefully look at the yellow tang - looking for any disease symptoms (I know you said breathing) - what is the rate.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought that I saw ich spots on the video on his body toward the tail but then I saw that the spots were on the glass. Please look again and let me know if you still see things on his body and if so, where specifically.

I did not treat with copper. Just tested in case coppper was coming from water pipes that feed my RODI system.
I agree the spots could be on the glass - so you can tell - just report it back - is there any abnormality at all. PS - was this a wild tang or a captive bred tang

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You broke down his long term home and territory’s and moved him to a new QT home?

Could he just be frightened?

Cant see any pics though so maybe I’m.” out to lunch”

Mine has done this a couple of times when I added a newer tang…..sulk….breathes….diesnt eat….lasts about a week.

OP
OP
reef wrangler

reef wrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not aware of the life expectancy - but at 5 years it could be pushing it (i.e. no disease)

You mean you put the tang in a hospital tank ?

Awesome

Salt can settle different elements at different rates - I'm just making up this example - but over a couple years - the 'alkalinity' could settle to the top or bottom meaning if you make water with an old batch of salt - its hard to know what you're putting in.

Do you use RODI to add water -if so - you could check your TDS
I do use RODI and checked TDS - it was at 0. The bucket of salt was new but have no idea how long it sat before being shipped to me.

OP
OP
reef wrangler

reef wrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the spots could be on the glass - so you can tell - just report it back - is there any abnormality at all. PS - was this a wild tang or a captive bred tang
Wild tang. Got him about 5 years ago.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You broke down his home and territory’s and moved him to a new QT home?

This is why I was asking about 'breaking tank down' - there are a couple scenarios here - that some will agree with and some will not - regarding H2S - which can cause fast breathing.

OP
OP
reef wrangler

reef wrangler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You broke down his long term home and territory’s and moved him to a new QT home?

Cant see any pics though so maybe I’m.” out to lunch”
No. Not just frightened. He was hiding, not eating and breathing hard before I took all the rock out of the tank to get him out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do use RODI and checked TDS - it was at 0. The bucket of salt was new but have no idea how long it sat before being shipped to me.
So the key when looking at these things is 'what is the history'. When someone says I lost a hawkfish a week ago - and now my tang has symptoms - it suggests but may not be a disease - based on what you said earlier.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back