KOI POND INFO/ AMMONIA

TommyD1

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 3, 2021
Messages
28
Reaction score
14
Location
Delta
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I have a lot koi pond in the front yard and the ammonia level is about 6 ppm. It’s usually at zero. But, my fish are alive and well! I’ve been in water treatment for many years, have done water changes, and don’t understand how the fish are alive…. How high can the levels get in a koi pond?? Thank you
 
Hey everyone,
I have a lot koi pond in the front yard and the ammonia level is about 6 ppm. It’s usually at zero. But, my fish are alive and well! I’ve been in water treatment for many years, have done water changes, and don’t understand how the fish are alive…. How high can the levels get in a koi pond?? Thank you
What are you using to test for the ammonia?
 
What are you using to test for the ammonia?
API test kit. I’ve tested it numerous times with even new kits. And the fish are eating well and swimming great ‍♂️
 
@TommyD1 That is pretty strange. What are your other parameters?

My understanding is that ammonia toxicity is actually dependent on the pH of the water in which it is found. The more acidic the water, the less quantity of toxic ammonia is available in the water and the greater the concentration of non-toxic ionic ammonium.
 
I’m not a koi/pond keeper, but I really hope you got some Prime or pond-safe-equivalent.
 
@TommyD1 That is pretty strange. What are your other parameters?

My understanding is that ammonia toxicity is actually dependent on the pH of the water in which it is found. The more acidic the water, the less quantity of toxic ammonia is available in the water and the greater the concentration of non-toxic ionic ammonium.
Sorry, I don’t get on often to respond. But, everything is in working order. Fish are fine and the last time we checked, things weren’t too bad. Just a very odd situation. Thank you so much for your time!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new