Kole Tang Suddenly Died. What Was It? Pictures

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I have a 55 Gallon with two Nemos, Kole Tang, Watchman Goby, and Royal Gramma. Also have a cleaner and fire shrimp. Tank is about 9-10 months old. I was planning on upgrading soon as I didn't realize at the time of starting the tank that a 55 was not a good fit for a Kole. As of today everyone was swimming around happy. I fed them and the Kole was his normal self, nothing looked odd. He showed zero signs of sickness. I did do a 15% water change yesterday, but my levels are all normal.

Couldn't find him a few hours later and he was in his cave laying on the ground dead. He has this pinkish/white blotch on one side of his body which wasn't there two hours ago. I have not added anything new into the tank for months, so disease seems not likely. Could it be overfeeding? I normally did a half cube of that Emerald stuff for Tangs, and also put in a half cube of Mysis Shrimp a day. This is unfortunate as he was my favorite fish.

I recently posted that Aptasia suddenly popped up on one of my rocks and was getting large. I've read they can sting fish and coral...could this of killed my Tang? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kole Tang 1.jpg

Kole Tang 2.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a bit like an infection, the tail looks like it may have been eaten by flukes or impacted by the same infection based on the erosion.

OP
OP
E

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a bit like an infection, the tail looks like it may have been eaten by flukes or impacted by the same infection based on the erosion.

I thought I might have flukes a few months ago. One of the clown had two weird spots and was flashing. I did 4-5 treatments of prazi and it seemed to be gone. Never saw the Kole flash or so anything odd. Do you think I should treat prazi as a preemptive measure?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I might have flukes a few months ago. One of the clown had two weird spots and was flashing. I did 4-5 treatments of prazi and it seemed to be gone. Never saw the Kole flash or so anything odd. Do you think I should treat prazi as a preemptive measure?
Based on what you said no I would not. It may be secondary infection post-flukes.

OP
OP
E

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what you said no I would not. It may be secondary infection post-flukes.

Hmm so I guess I should just keep an eye on the other fish for any signs of disease. It's odd because I've never had a fish just die like that. Any fish I've ever had die seemed to show disease or were harassed to death.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back