OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I week left of quarantine. The Kole tang is looking great and roaming looking for food. Been feeding him Nori, spirulina enriched brine shrimp and new spectrum pellets. He is still constantly looking for something to rasp on.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to introduce a new fish with lights out to minimize aggression? The DT the Kole is going in has a smaller yellow tang also. Yellow tang about 3.5 inches, Kole tang about 5 inches.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it best to introduce a new fish with lights out to minimize aggression? The DT the Kole is going in has a smaller yellow tang also. Yellow tang about 3.5 inches, Kole tang about 5 inches.

Thanks

I think dimming the lights is best, just enough light so the new fish doesn't bump into the rocks. Be sure that the salinity, temp and pH match up (you can always adjust the QT in advance).

Jay

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dimming the lights is best, just enough light so the new fish doesn't bump into the rocks. Be sure that the salinity, temp and pH match up (you can always adjust the QT in advance).

Jay
Yea, I usually put the new fish in a 5 gallon bucket 1/4 full of QT water and use an airline to slowly fill the bucket from the DT. Once its full, net them out and drop them in.

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Help. My Kole Tang has been in my DT for a month. Was doing fine but a few weeks ago I noticed that he started getting skinnier and skinnier but still grazed all day. Dosed Prazi-pro twice a week apart thinking that since he was still eating in might be internal worms. Today he was in a corner not moving much. Pulled him out and did a freshwater bath for a few minutes and now into a QT. After I brought him home I did an initial Prazi-pro dose and went though a 10 day trifecta treatment.....

Where did I go wrong?

He is about 6 inches long. Could he just be old?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything you did wrong. Were you still feeding the fish NLS pellets? Between those and grazing, it should have been fine diet-wise. I doubt if it was old-age directly, but sometimes older fish don’t adapt to captivity as well as younger ones. It could be internal parasites, but in reality, fish can usually compensate for parasite load by eating more...remember that parasites don’t really want to kill their host, else they lose their home!

Jay

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen every other night. Frozen mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, krill, angel and butterfly formula. The other times they get NLS pellets, spirulina flakes. Seaweed at least 4 days per week on a clip.

I have a Yellow Tang, pair of Oscellaris Clowns, a Blue Chromis, a Coral Beauty, Lawnmower Blenny and a Bangii Cardinal. Got 3 more Bangii Cardinals and a pair of Black Mollies in QT now. I alos have 2 BTA, and a few corals. I didn't notice any bickering within the fish other than the first week the Kole Tang was added to the DT. The Yellow Tang didn't appreciate the Kole Tang at first.

I just set up an Algae Turf Scrubber and a GFO Reactor to combat a hair algae outbreak and its almost completely gone from the DT. Clean rockwork (I use Matrix in sump for biological filtration and like the rocks looking white and bright) and front/back glass. I let algae grow on side panels and you can see where he has been rasping it off.

I hope I didn't starve him with being fanatical about getting rid of the hair algae which he didn't graze on anyway.

If I don't think a recovery is in the cards, what is a good way to euthanize him so he doesn't suffer needlessly?

Thanks

Troy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euthanasia is called for when a fish becomes moribund due a chronic issue, which this is. Eugenol (clove oil) works, but alcohol is easier to come by.

My home office computer is down, and I’m working off my phone, but you can try searching here for Jay + Euthanasia .. I posted the amounts not too long ago in another thread. I think the dose is 40 ml of vodka per liter of water, then freeze the fish once unconscious.

Sorry!

Jay

OP
OP
TroyClark

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euthanasia is called for when a fish becomes moribund due a chronic issue, which this is. Eugenol (clove oil) works, but alcohol is easier to come by.

My home office computer is down, and I’m working off my phone, but you can try searching here for Jay + Euthanasia .. I posted the amounts not too long ago in another thread. I think the dose is 40 ml of vodka per liter of water, then freeze the fish once unconscious.

Sorry!

Jay
Thanks. Thats what I did. I used to use that method when I had discus and angelfish get sick.

Back