KP aquatics live rock

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep at it this first 7-10 days and you’ll start to see some of that magic! Keep us all updated, we look forward to hearing how it goes.
Will do. This is my first real live rock experience like this, so I'm certainly interested to see the progression and result in the end. I have to admit, this is probably shaping up to be more work than I had originally thought though!

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like that with everything in this hobby but once you get past the initial setup and break in period it becomes a little less, then when the tank fully matures it will be a bit more predictable. I have had my rock since starting this thread and still find new encrusting coral occasionally, it’s really neat.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will do. This is my first real live rock experience like this, so I'm certainly interested to see the progression and result in the end. I have to admit, this is probably shaping up to be more work than I had originally thought though!
Don't stress. It's like a toddler. Gets easier.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like that with everything in this hobby but once you get past the initial setup and break in period it becomes a little less, then when the tank fully matures it will be a bit more predictable. I have had my rock since starting this thread and still find new encrusting coral occasionally, it’s really neat.
Don't stress. It's like a toddler. Gets easier.

I didn't mean to imply this is my first tank or experience. I am many tanks into my hobby, just the first time I've started with live rock directly from the ocean. I'll probably go broke making so much water for the next week or so. :D

Will keep updating as I go along as changes occur!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how the rock looks tonight.
1D1303A1-7EAE-4542-952D-677D882B958B.jpeg

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow is one week. The smell is certainly improving but it doesn’t smell fresh yet either.

Looks about the same.

3840B4DD-6B82-43C4-B165-2EA5ED706D29.jpeg

OP
OP
Keithb22

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I know it doesn’t make much sense buuuuut I tossed in some bottled bacteria I had in there to help out. I’m wondering if the levels have settled in yet if you could do a mini CUC to help with any algae and detritus that may be left over? Just spit balling here with you

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the levels holding up?
I'll admit I haven't checked any levels in a couple days. ;Wideyed I should check them though to see where I'm at. Just been keeping up with large regular water changes.

Honestly I know it doesn’t make much sense buuuuut I tossed in some bottled bacteria I had in there to help out. I’m wondering if the levels have settled in yet if you could do a mini CUC to help with any algae and detritus that may be left over? Just spit balling here with you

At the advice of a local reefer, I actually picked up some of the Brightwell XLM bacteria stuff and have been adding the recommended dose of that at each water change. I don't know if it's doing anything but figured, can't hurt right?

I hadn't considered the CUC route but might be an interesting try to add a few things. So far it seems like some of the coralline has just faded to that greenish tint, which is fine I know it's still there and there's still plenty of color that should easily come back once I get things fully up and going.

I don't think there's much of anything for macrolife left though after the harsh cycle. Still thinking I might order a bit more (shipped fully submerged in water this time) to seed back some of the more interesting life.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I’ve not come as far as I’d hoped a week in. Tested ammonia tonight, about 22 hours since the last 99% waterchange and ammonia was around 5 ppm.

A week of such elevated ammonia levels does not bode well for the survival of much of anything including bacteria.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is, the water has become clear rather than cloudy like it has been up until now and smell is improving. The bad news is, I did not do a waterchange Thursday when I tested ammonia at 4-5 ppm. I re-tested ammonia today and it's at the same level.

That makes me question if any bacteria survived this ordeal. Four days with no reduction in ammonia tells me there's little to no bacteria present.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a jumpstart do you get starting with live rock rather than dead dry rock?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a jumpstart do you get starting with live rock rather than dead dry rock?
I'm no expert as this is my first time starting a tank with all live rock, but typical rule of thumb with dry rock is it takes a year for the tank to stabilize and have obtained all that diverse microfauna/bacteria that's so important. Usually by a year you're past the random algae stages and settling in, growing coralline etc.

I would venture to guess starting with live rock that you have to cycle a bit, like I did with my first batch you're still months ahead of the dry rock game. With live rock with no die off or cycle when added to your tank like my second batch I received I'd say you almost completely bypass that entire first year "new tank syndrome".

I'd be curious to know what others think though. Regardless, I feel it's well worth it to start with at least some live rock. I decided to go completely live rock as I was tired of messing around with the struggles of a new tank started with dry rock.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kjofan you hit it pretty close. The first time I used KP I had sps coral doing great in that tank after only two months

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any harm in adding bio-spira to the rocks? It's known that there are various strains of bacteria on these rocks so it's possible the bottled bacteria might have negative effects on the existing bacteria right?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any harm in adding bio-spira to the rocks? It's known that there are various strains of bacteria on these rocks so it's possible the bottled bacteria might have negative effects on the existing bacteria right?
Not sure there'd be any harm to it. I added some Brightwell's Microbacter XLM to both batches of mine, but more to the first batch due to the hard cycle. It came recommended to me by an experienced reefer I trust, so I think it'd be alright.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for the colors on the rocks to fade? They lost a lot of the orange and a little of the purple. They've been curing in a black plastic bin with a pump and heater for 6 days now. I've been doing wc every other day. It's hard to maintain temp outside but it's usually between 77-80 and sometimes to 82 when I'm not able to check on them. They're covered so they don't get much light. Trying to prevent algae growing. They probably won't go in the tank for at least another week or 2.

Back