Krusty Krab Secret Formula - Coral Coloration/Reef Wellness

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to create a post which could highlight certain non branded/packaged reef products which can be used to increase coral growth, coloration or overall reef health/vitality. I’m looking for honest answers if anybody has attempted to use everyday products on a regular basis which has yielded in positive results.

This post might be a little off the wall and I can already foresee somebody saying, Miracle Grow - but I honestly want to hear about others observations and or experiments.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are all sorts of nonbranded reef products that are successfully used. Almost any chemical product can be obtained in higher purity and/or at lower cost, as long as you know what the ingredients are, although in a few cases it may mean buying a lot of different chemicals (say, for example if wanted to make your own Tropic Marin Balling Part C). We have extensive threads and articles on DIY chemical additives.

As to coral color, IMO there are no magic additives that boost coral color. Color comes as the result of genetics and environmental factors that include lots of different chemical parameters needed by corals, as well as lighting, flow, feeding, and other factors .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back