• 2x 36" x 22" with profiles in the center

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby nearing 7 years, and have a few systems running currently.

If you need to get in contact with me, I have the same username on other platforms, or fire off a PM as that will generate an email alert. Otherwise I no longer regularly browse this forum, nor wish to support it's ownership in any way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently all the fish have been pulled and are in quarantine for observation following 14 days of tank-transfer. I have had crypto in the tank for a while and was attempting to manage it while running my other tank stock through quarantine (65 gallon), but the loss of a sharknose cleaner goby three weeks ago forced me to act and get them out. It's currently fallow till the middle of September.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice. Following....

I am just now starting my Fusion 20. LPS and SPS only in this tank. My 13G mixed reef is currently over stock with corals.

One think I noticed is that you have 2x Kessil 160WE. Although I currently have Kessil 360WE, I am a little concern on ample light coverage once corals takes off end to end on the tank.

What's the max percentage of intensity and color do you have on both 160WE? Lights height above water?

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very nice. Following....

I am just now starting my Fusion 20. LPS and SPS only in this tank. My 13G mixed reef is currently over stock with corals.

One think I noticed is that you have 2x Kessil 160WE. Although I currently have Kessil 360WE, I am a little concern on ample light coverage once corals takes off end to end on the tank.

What's the max percentage of intensity and color do you have on both 160WE? Lights height above water?
Here's the setting in apex, and the lights are 5" from the water line.

Here you can sort of see the lighting profile over the tank. I know what you mean by over-stocked! I had to abandon my frag tank as I was losing everything in there, and since this tank has crypto I can't put the corals in the 65 gallon display, so it's packed!

Last edited:

longgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the kessils is it okay for the color to be less than 50% all the time? I'm still trying to figure out my settings.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will make a small difference in the spectrum, but it's pretty much just for what you fine aesthetically pleasing.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the kessils is it okay for the color to be less than 50% all the time? I'm still trying to figure out my settings.
BRS recently a review of the Kessil 360W using 50% color + 100% intensity. 50% color gives u the maximum PAR... doesn't however means less than 50 is bad. Personally I like 45% and less.

This may give you an idea what to expect and set.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. Kessil is tuned for coral growth, which means almost all color level has the necessary blue spectrum, the variance is mostly for visual pleasure

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing how the *pod population becomes visible once fish are gone. They've been out roughly 5 weeks now, and there are copepods and isopods all over the glass. My pinkstreaked wrasse is going to have a field day on these pods when he's back in the tank!

Stocking wise, I've been searching for Greenbanded gobies for over a year and our local market in Vancouver Canada has basically one vendor, whom can't source them. Unfortunately there is no national source like liveaquaria to fall back on, but I do know there is a fish/coral store with an online presence a couple of provinces over. It's been exceedingly difficult to get any communication going with them, something I've never come across this in the hobby so far. I'm in envy of what a lot of the US reefing scene has available to them, least of which the online livestock and coral vendors.

Anyway, now that I'm on holidays for a bit it's time to press the issue and try and get a pair of those gobies. After that, stocking should be complete for this tank in it's current incarnation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Porcelain crab doing it's thing while mama clown is out of the tank.

Idaho grape monti is also finally starting to plate out after months of not really doing a whole lot. Most of that is probably attributed to having everything dialed in once a gain; 8.2 DKH, 410 calcium, 1340 calcium, ~2 ppm nitrate, 0.03 ppm phosphate. Another month and a bit, and the tank should be rocking fully stocked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always hated trying to safely dry out the Redsea / Hanna cuvettes from water testing, since they tend to knock over and fall on the floor.

So a (number) of hours later..

Perfect fit for a v1, and space to put some of those Brother label stickers to keep the cuvettes from being used on another test. Now to create a Hanna version, wondering what the best way to store the caps would be. 3D printing and this hobby seem to be a perfect fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a white-spot anemone shrimp today, so tiny, only about 1" long. Has a nice purple-blue banding / spots on the legs. Hoping it will take up residence on the plate coral, as it was in the LFS.

Currently in invert QT for 76 days, or until it molts. Not taking anymore chances!

Also finished up my work on a holder for the Hanna cuvettes, turned out perfect. The SR Aqualisk cuvettes aslo fit in the Red Sea holder, as seen on the far left. If you have a 3D printer, the stl's for both are on Thingiverse:

28 days left and then the fish will be back in the tank. Everyone's doing fine in QT, and I have not seen any visible crypto nor aberrant behavior since tank-transfer finished.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P. brevicarpalis molted last night, so he's out of invert QT, acclimated over an hour with multiple complete water refreshes and I put him in to the tank from hand with zero water. Went right into the the paly island and has been there for the last hour or so.

Conch is also paying a visit next door..

Two more weeks of fallow as of this Monday, then the fish can return from QT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. All I have is an older Galaxy S4, so it's a struggle with the actinic to get shots that look the same as in-person..

Tank is pretty crowded, but I'm still waiting out a fallow timer then I can move a lot of the extra frags and pieces out. Also not happy with how large that paly rock is, will move it to my 10 gallon, or possibly up to the 65. It has spaghetti worms in it though, and I don't want those in my larger 65.. unless the fairy wrasses would keep them in check. I know they're good CUC, but look awful stringing all over the place.

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! That's not to bad for an S4, time to upgrade though ;)

I agree with the spaghetti worms being a good and a bad lol. Not sure whether the wrasse will keep them in check though, I'll let somebody else chime in

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in Canadaland, an upgrade (unless I buy outright), will take me off of a grandfathered plan to one with less data and cost $20 more a month, on top of $500 for a new S8.. no thanks!

Going to keep this sucker till it stops working :)

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 more days and the TSB can resume guarding the zoa garden against all interlopers!

Last edited:

schgr.cube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great so far! Sorry for your sharknose loss, but it seems you're taking the right steps to be careful with everyone else.

How do you feel about the conch in a 20g? I was debating one in my 25 but thought they might be a tad too big.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is super crowded on the sand right now, so I think it kind of ticks the conch off a bit. I like it, so far the sand has seemed to be a bit whiter, but that could just be coincidence. I can go a couple days between seeing it, then it's hopping around for another couple.

Yeah I figured the tank had ich for a while, no fish were ever quarantined in it. I learned my lesson in January on my 65 gallon, it had velvet rip through. Since then I've turned a closet into a QT station, and everything from now on goes through QT for both tanks - fish, coral and inverts.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back