Kyle's 90 gallon tank

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there everyone I've been around for a bit now and have only updated things about my tank through my other posts. I decided it's time to make a more detailed thread in here dedicated to my tank so here it is!
This is my first saltwater tank and my first larger aquarium.

Okay so here's some of the stuff I got and currently use:
90 gallon glass aquarium with a glass canopy (not drilled)
Two canister filters (Penn Plax Cascade 1200 & Marineland C-220)
Two JVP-102b power heads
Marineland 36" LED's
- I do plan to get the reef octopus bh 1000 protein skimmer soon, I was debating on getting an overflow and sump with a different skimmer, but decided I'll get a hob one instead.

I have around 100 pounds of live rock in there now and about a 1 inch sand bed. Almost of which were dry rock and dry sand starting out; I only had about 10 pounds of live rock to help seed the rest. I ghost fed and also dosed pure ammonia and raised the ammonia level to 4ppm(was supposed to be 2ppm) to help start my cycle and it all worked really well. My cycle took about 2 weeks to complete.

My first additions were some nerites, ceriths, and blue leg hermits a week after it finished.
I waited another week and added my first fish, a yellow-finned flasher wrasse that I bought as a carpenters wrasse lol I like him just the same though! I then got a smiths blenny, 5 blue green reef chromis, and a yellow clown goby; in that order all purchased 1-2 weeks apart.
I got more nerites ceriths and blue legs at various times when getting fish as well and have about 10 of each in there now. I also have 2 emerald crabs now as well.

I feed formula 2 flakes 2-3 times a day and frozen mysis shrimp a few times a week. I soak them in Garlic guard as well.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to get one with my blue lights I was just going through old pics I took along the way.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't been the best at keeping up with the forums lately, sorry!
Since I posted in here last I've added a pair of clowns and two weeks later (today) I finally added my coral beauty & flame angel that I have been waiting on since before starting my tank up!
Everyone seems to be getting along fine so far and it all seems to be looking good besides my uneven sand haha .

Here's some pics of them
IMG_2294.JPG IMG_2296.JPG IMG_2304.JPG IMG_2307.JPG

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my first coral frags today! Just 3 cheap softies to see how they do.
They have been in there for an hour and a half and are pretty well opened up now.
Here are some pics:
Shortly after added
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Now
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Just waiting for their color to come back now.

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to update you guys the next day, but they really opened up and started to look good after about 12 hours.

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start. Keep the angel feed algae.
Of course! I always have a piece from my nori sheets stuck on the glass, except for when I take pictures or use my magnetic algae scrubber to clean the tank instead of hold it up on there lol.

Erick Merfeld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running in your canister filters? I have a canister in my tank and trying to figure out what is the best way to use them since I am not fortunate enough to have a drilled tank. What are you running in both of your canisters? I have one canister with filters both fine and course and a bag of carbon. How often do you clean them? Also do you have a problem with high nitrates?

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running in your canister filters? I have a canister in my tank and trying to figure out what is the best way to use them since I am not fortunate enough to have a drilled tank. What are you running in both of your canisters? I have one canister with filters both fine and course and a bag of carbon. How often do you clean them? Also do you have a problem with high nitrates?
In one I have course/fine/carbon/nitrogensponge and in the other it's just course/course/fine/whatever I feel like using at the time.
I clean them usually every 10 days when I do a water change. My nitrates usually don't go above 10 and the highest I ever see them get to is 15. I have 12 fish and feed multiple times a day so I'd say it's pretty good numbers considering that and having two running at the same time.

Erick Merfeld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I was looking at running course fine purigen phosguard n carbon. But I only have one running so I don't know if I should do that or just stick with the course fine n carbon.

Do you have any corals in your tank?

OP
OP
Killerflash

Killerflash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I was looking at running course fine purigen phosguard n carbon. But I only have one running so I don't know if I should do that or just stick with the course fine n carbon.

Do you have any corals in your tank?
3 softies they are still new but they all opened up and have colored up.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back