KyRo's Disaster Transformation Tank

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted a bit about my disaster tank in other threads, but why not also make a full build thread here?!

Flashback to Christmas time 2019. I'm not a kid anymore, but my mom asks what I'd like for Christmas. I say I might start a saltwater tank, so literally anything for one. I told her to ask my uncle what he would recommend and I tell her not to spend much money. I was mostly looking for small start up products.

I get a text with this picture... "Your uncle says you can have it if you can clean it out". Now mind you, I remember this tank being gorgeous, but he really let it go.
IMG_2425.JPG

I did not judge. My uncle has had a lot going on the last few years and had some tough times. I was just excited to get started on cleaning it. I literally had to beg him to clear up some time for me to come do it. It took longer than I'd like to admit to get this into my car. I drive Chevy Cruze and I think we deserve a medal for getting everything into my car.

Let me tell you though, it was a mess and much harder than I thought. The amount of scraping I had to do to get this thing looking like a tank again took me from 10am to 2am that night. I was working so hard I forgot to eat.

The nightmare tank got a bit worse. I cleaned most of the tank that night and ended up ditching a lot of the crud into the bathtub to clean most of the equipment off. Good idea? I mean... the tank started to look nice....
IMG_2418.jpg

I was so stoked, BUT I woke up the next morning to go to work and as soon as I stepped into the bathroom my foot was fully submerged in freezing cold water.

I believe I somehow plugged up the drains in my apartment building, which is really dumb on my part. The water was everywhere and even got into the building hallway.
119881579_626578811392685_2794256481851891548_n.jpg

To put it lightly, I freaked out. I had to call off work and get this cleaned up because the water was not stopping. My landlord is very nice and helped me get it straightened out, so that was a huge relief.

Now to New Years Eve. I did the last finishing touches on the cleaning and was able to finally put in the sand and rocks. I was so into the set up that I missed the ball drop. I heard my sisters in the living room counting down and kept on working lol. I had taken it fully apart to clean and forgot how to put it back together... so yeah that was a complete frustrating mess on my part. It took a couple days to get everything situated after that.

This was my first tank shot with my 2 clowns, a little piece of GSP and a little hammer coral. I do admit, I added the fish and corals way too fast. I'm glad nothing went bad off the start, but I still regret doing it this way. I got rid of the Red Sea lid and lights for an AI Prime. I loved the look of the LEDs for sure.
IMG_2566 (1).jpg

This was my little attempt at starting a Zoa garden
zoas.jpg

My tank was going great for about 3-4 months. COVID hit and life happened, so I lost track of my tank to be honest. I had 3 hammers in my tank that all didn't make it and had some pretty annoying algae. I had stopped doing water changes and was even getting lazy on my top off water adding. My fish were still doing great though! I contemplated selling or giving the tank away since I did not think it was for me if I could just let this happen. Again, I was lazy and didn't want to move it to my storage unit so I just let it go for another couple weeks.

I got sick of looking at the hard work I just let go, so I decided to get my butt in gear and turn it around. I got a whole bunch of RODI water for water changes, got rid of the heaps of bubble algae I had, and cleaned a bit. Over the past few months, I have gotten my tank back to how I wanted it from the beginning. I keep up with my water changes and won't let it go bad out of laziness again.

These are pics from my tank this past week. I have the 2 clowns, a sapphire damsel, 2 green chromis, a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. All are doing wonderful. The zoas never died and actually grew quite a bit during the worst times, so I'm thankful for that! And of course my GSP didn't care about any of it and is as big as ever lol

reef1.jpeg

My resilient Zoa Garden
zoas1.jpeg

zoas2.jpeg

I wanted some more hammers/frogspawn so I could redeem myself with them. So far I have 4 that are doing great. The neon frogspawn I have had for 2 months and is my favorite
island.jpeg

This is just my little Duncan that I like
duncan.jpeg

This tank has had its ups and downs for sure, which is why I think I like it so much. I could have done without the flood.... but I'll take the rest as a learning experience. I hope to keep updating this thread as I go. I am really looking forward to my Zoa Garden really coming together. I know the journey isn't all going to be good from here and I will run into issues as everyone does, but I feel like I am at least a bit more knowledgeable and can deal with anything that is thrown at me.

That was long winded, but thanks for anyone who took the time to read! I appreciate it.

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add my information on the tank! (sorry if this bump was not allowed)

I believe it is a Red Sea C-130 34Gallon all in one tank.
I have a very simple set up with no sump, no auto top off or anything like that. Basically just the filter, protein skimmer, carbon/media rack.

I cycled with dry rock, live sand and Biospira.

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a few more snails. I got 3 orange shelled ones. I can’t remember what they’re called but they seem to be getting right to it and look cool under my lights. I also got two more little Nassarius snails. Cute little dudes

I also noticed my newer Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas have sprouted a couple of new heads. Hard to see from the pic but the far right and the very top
0DB66B81-1335-4BA2-9D33-A9F7C74C262C.jpeg

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a few vermetid snails in my tanks. Crushed them because I noticed a couple corals near them haven't been as open. Hopefully I can keep these in check.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great little tank and sorry to see your apartment all wet...I can say I have never flooded my water room while filling water....never not ever not even once!

Ok ok maybe a few times hahaha

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great little tank and sorry to see your apartment all wet...I can say I have never flooded my water room while filling water....never not ever not even once!

Ok ok maybe a few times hahaha

Thank you! Hahaha yeah you gotta learn somehow, right?!

Update on my tank -

Not much has happened except for small growth. My little baby hammer is splitting a new head so that's fun! A ton of zoa heads sprouting also.

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wanted to add more real estate to my zoa garden so I added the last piece of rock I had. Brand new and so white but it should blend right in soon. I’d really like my big colony of red zoas to grab hold of that new rock and fill it in a bit also
625D0D68-E16D-497B-8DAD-A59DDA1F2E0D.jpeg

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some scarlet hermit crabs yesterday. I've never really had crabs in my tank besides an emerald to clean the bubble algae, so I'm gonna be watching these suckers closely!

OP
OP
KyRo

KyRo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out the flooding I had mentioned in the OP was not from me. We had tons of more flooding this summer and ultimately put our whole apartment underwater. We had to move and some of my corals did not make it unfortunately. I'm still trying to revive parts of my tank but it could be much worse! These pics hurt because I loved how my tank looked just months ago.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back