La Plata PetCo has Crown Snails.

SteveMM62Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2020
Messages
2,640
Reaction score
1,617
Location
La Plata
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of yesterday, PetCo in La Plata, MD had Crown Snails for sale. They are heavy algae eaters, and will also stir up the sandbed eating algae. I haven’t seen them in a while. BTW, don’t let your tank get over 82F, as it will kill them.
 
As of yesterday, PetCo in La Plata, MD had Crown Snails for sale. They are heavy algae eaters, and will also stir up the sandbed eating algae. I haven’t seen them in a while. BTW, don’t let your tank get over 82F, as it will kill them.
Are you referring to the crown conch (Melongena corona)? These are carnivorous snails that prey on other mollusks.
1658683606538.png
 
The California ones are Megastraea undosa. They can get 3 inches across, I believe it is illegal in California to harvest them. You’d have to check with Natural Resources. They eat a tremendous amount of algae too.
 
The California ones are Megastraea undosa. They can get 3 inches across, I believe it is illegal in California to harvest them. You’d have to check with Natural Resources. They eat a tremendous amount of algae too.
Marine Species says that Astraea undosa is a synonym of Megastraea undosa so I think we are talking about the same snail. I once read that it is highly illegal to collect wild marine snails, like these, in CA on government websites.
 
Marine Species says that Astraea undosa is a synonym of Megastraea undosa so I think we are talking about the same snail. I once read that it is highly illegal to collect wild marine snails, like these, in CA on government websites.
I think you are correct there. I’ve also seen the “undosa” spelled “undoza.”
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new