LA Reef Stores

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be headed to Costa Mesa, CA just south of Los Angelos tomorrow for a business trip.

Anyone know of some stores around the area that I should try to check out while I am there? I will be there for the next 8 days.

thanks

d34532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your in Costa Mesa, CA my neck of the woods hehehe your in for a treat.

I would go to Ali's "amazing aquaruim and reef" in Orange for high end corals and Tongs Fountain Valley and expect to pay top dollar for the high end stuff. I would avoid buying fish from Tongs. A lot local reefers report fish die off sometimes you get lucky have one of those hardy fish. I personal have mix feeling sometimes their price is really good on the fish and hard to pass up but then again I picked up 3 fish that are generally know for being easy and recommend for beginner all died in 24hours of each other along with their 4 remaining dieing in the same time period.

Go to Tom's "Socali Tropical Fish" in Fullerton for high end gear for a good price.

Eye Candy (Garden Grove)(owner Allen and Jackie) and Fish Collection (forgot the city)(Owner is Jimmy avoid getting the price from the wife as she has always been reported give overpriced quote)

I like all of the above store but my favor is the last two because they price their stuff to move and for this reason some people say they don't have anything nice. When they get something nice they are normally sold within 24hours and sometimes before they even put it into their display.

If you see anything in the LFS that you want and they don't have a price don't be scaried to ask because most will frag it unless they have NFS on that coral.

Last edited:

Palancar

Aussie Acan Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a head start on stocking up the 350, Rob? I can see it now, like a kid in a candy shop. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
robharold

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a head start on stocking up the 350, Rob? I can see it now, like a kid in a candy shop. Good luck and happy hunting.

Yeah Louis kinda like that. I am going for business and you know if you go into the candy capitol, you gotta look to buy.

d34532 - Thx for the recommendations I will look them up.

d34532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some other shops
Carson's Tropical fish? not sure on name they are off the 605 freeway.
Coral Oasis

If you go on the 22Freeway exit Tustin and head north there a few store between the 22 and 91 FW I think there are 5 stores in the 5 or 6 miles between freeway. Jeff's exotic fish, Amazing aquaruim and reef, and Pacfic Reef, If you stay on Tustin it will change to Rose go on it for a few miles and you will get to Fish Collection.

If your into Freshwater there are TONS in the OC area also.

OP
OP
robharold

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Do you live around here or something? I doubt I will be able to hit all of these but thanks for the info. I'll look them up and go form there.

OP
OP
robharold

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I have found info for all of these except Ali's and Tom's SoCali. Could the name be something else?

thanks for the help I will have to find a way to hit some of these.

BTW, I am at the Hilton Costa Mesa. Love to meet you if you are close to this area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robharold

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,

I am back from LA. I hit quite a few stores while there and was really impressed by only 2. VIVID was very nice and had a huge selection especially good for SPSer's which I am not.

NOW, for ACAN lovers MAN o MAN was Amazing Aquariums and reefs the place to go. He had tons of varieties available. Not to mention all the other goodies there.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 84 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back