Lab DI water ok for reef?

  • Thread starter Thread starter T-winReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

T-winReef

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2024
Messages
48
Reaction score
51
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I just received the OK to take water from my lab to use for my tank. It is lab grade 18.2 MΩ DI water with 2-3ppb TOC reading aka ultrapure water. Would this be ok to use vs rodi? I only have a nano tank (11.3G) so I would rather not get a rodi system just yet. I have been getting my saltwater and rodi water from the LFS with no issues but I figured I can avoid the temptation of buying more stuff by getting the water from my work since I’m there anyways.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
 
Hello!

I just received the OK to take water from my lab to use for my tank. It is lab grade 18.2 MΩ DI water with 2-3ppb TOC reading aka ultrapure water. Would this be ok to use vs rodi? I only have a nano tank (11.3G) so I would rather not get a rodi system just yet. I have been getting my saltwater and rodi water from the LFS with no issues but I figured I can avoid the temptation of buying more stuff by getting the water from my work since I’m there anyways.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!
I guess that would depend on what that toc consists of. But only one way to find out.
Personally, I like the ability to make my own water, especially in the case of an emergency.
However, in your case with such a small volume of water, it would be easy enough to just keep enough on hand for an emergency.
 
So I went ahead and used it to make my saltwater and everything seems great so far! TOC at the time of filling my bottles was 2ppb and my TDS reading is 0.

Added a photo of what our filtration system looks like. After the water goes through this, there is a final filter where the water dispenses in the lab.

IMG_9945.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new