Lab Test RO/DI Water

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever cared to send in a water sample of their RO/DI water to see what, if anything, is making its way through the filters? Especially when the filters are a bit older and there's great chance some things could be making their way through? I've noticed that when my RO filters get close to the 6 month mark, my corals start losing color and look a bit PO'd. The dual DI reactor resin hasn't changed colors and TDS is still 0, but I can tell something has got to be making it past the DI resin based on my SPS health. I've been looking into drinking water test kits like these.

Has anyone tried this in the past? I'm curious if the sensitivity of these tests is adequate enough for what ails my SPS. I have a friend with a large system and his coral is experiencing the same issues I've seen with old RO filters (extruded acro filaments, paled colors) with 0 TDS and everything else in the system looks normal. I'm convinced there's something in the water that's not registering with a TDS meter that penetrates through RO/DI when the RO filter blocks become old. Thoughts? Am I wasting my money if I buy one of these test kits?

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent an RO sample to get ICP tested because I have hard metals like lead and copper in my tank and wanted to rule out my RO water as possible source

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got them back. No lead of copper but there were other elements that showed up. It wasn't just 0's across the board like you might expect.

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on my phone right now and don't know how to attach a PDF though Tapatalk on my phone.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got them back. No lead of copper but there were other elements that showed up. It wasn't just 0's across the board like you might expect.

I wouldn't expect zeros, even in 0 ppm TDS water, since the method can detect very low levels. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those would be important to see?

Well I think any chloramine would be i portent to see if it happened to be there in trace concentrations. From what I've read in the past, levels in the range of ppb can be toxic to corals. Fluorine probably doesn't make a difference, I just know they add fluorine to the water supply and haven't read too much definitive info on its impact on invertebrates and corals. If anyone knows whether it's harmful, beneficial, or doesn't have any impact at all I'd love to know. I just would like to pinpoint whatever is making its way through my system as the filters age that causes so much mayhem with my acros.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think any chloramine would be i portent to see if it happened to be there in trace concentrations. From what I've read in the past, levels in the range of ppb can be toxic to corals. Fluorine probably doesn't make a difference, I just know they add fluorine to the water supply and haven't read too much definitive info on its impact on invertebrates and corals. If anyone knows whether it's harmful, beneficial, or doesn't have any impact at all I'd love to know. I just would like to pinpoint whatever is making its way through my system as the filters age that causes so much mayhem with my acros.

Chloride is a far more common form of chlorine in tap water than chloramine, and ICP cannot distinguish them.

Here's an article on fluorine, and some reef supplements contain it (ESV Br/F for example) so I doubt it is an issue in 0-1 ppm TDS water. I've added sodium fluoride myself as an experiment and noticed nothing.

Fluoride Depletion In Four Reef Aquariums
http://web.archive.org/web/20030101...rk.com:80/fish2/aqfm/2000/jan/bio/default.asp

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Randy! Fluoride in water has been a question on my mind for some time now.

So the question I'm still left with is why my SPS tend to degrade in health when my RO membranes age and the TDS still reads 0. Surely something is contaminating the water at a low enough concentration that is still detrimental to the health of corals. And if it's getting through my RO, is it detectable with an available water test?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Randy! Fluoride in water has been a question on my mind for some time now.

So the question I'm still left with is why my SPS tend to degrade in health when my RO membranes age and the TDS still reads 0. Surely something is contaminating the water at a low enough concentration that is still detrimental to the health of corals. And if it's getting through my RO, is it detectable with an available water test?

How often has this happened? My RO membranes lasted more than 10 years.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often has this happened? My RO membranes lasted more than 10 years.

I said membranes, sorry I meant to say filter blocks. Although that filter membrane was probably 5 years old. Every time my filter blocks would get to be 5-6 months old, that's when the corals would start to brown out and extruding filaments. My friend in town has a large (over 1000 g) system and his corals are now doing the same thing and his RO filters and membranes are reaching 3 years old. He assures me that it's an industrial RO membrane and filters that are rated to last over 3 years, but the symptoms are identical and his system is incredibly stable. Considering I see the same symptoms with my corals that correlates to old RO filters and goes away with a filter change, I feel like there's something in the Austin water that gets through older RO filter blocks and is harmful to acros.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture I took of his corals from the last time I was over as a reference. Browned out and a little pale. What you can't really see in the picture is the filaments coming out of some of the corals. (The water is a little hazy because the protein skimmer cup got accidentally dumped in the sump right before taking a picture, but the corals were mad before that happened)

I tested his water and NO3 was ~6 ppm and PO4 was 0.00 so nutrients didn't see me excessively high and I always keep NO3 below 10 ppm and PO4 at 0.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afdbf370d0954e53993360f29dafdf46.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back