Lagoon 25 by a window....bad idea???

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so this will be my first aio and smaller tank. Looking at the lagoon 25. Anyone have theirs set up by a window. Where I want to put it is right in front of a sliding door. The area does not get direct sunlight and the blacked out back will be facing the window, but I worry that indirect light might be an issue being the tank will be low in comparison to the size of the window. attached a picture of the area. I want to put it on that table in front of the door.
Thoughts.....

DSC03753.JPG

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much direct light hits that spot?
my LFS has a little logoon tank with a large carpet anemone and mangroves in it by a window like that without issue. it doesn't have any direct sunlight hitting it though.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ugh, if I payed attention I would have seen that you said no direct light hits it.

I'm going by my LFS this evening actually. ill snap a picture while I'm there for comparison

OP
OP
offthehook

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that would be awesome. Yeah it doesn't get any direct sunlight but I was just worried about the indirect being it is so open on that window. So possibly indirect sunlight would filter through the sides and top. Probably not an issue but still worries me. Never set up a tank right by a window before.

OP
OP
offthehook

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if maybe the indirect sunlight would still pose an issue for fluctuating your water temperature...

Hmmm...I don't think so but I could be wrong. There is a vent over that area and To be honest it stays pretty cool over there even during the heat of the day. The window points pretty much south. I could be wrong though...

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take a digital thermometer and leave it right where you want the tank and take readings throughout the day. That would give you an idea about temperature fluctuations during the day, if any. I have my nano sitting right next to a vent as well, and I closed it off. There are 3 more in that room and I didn't want cold air blasting it. (10 months, I'm in SC. 8 months of summer, 1 month of spring and fall and 2 months of "winter" when I have to turn the heat on)
I wouldn't see a problem with indirect light, my LFS just set up a Reefer 450 in the front of the store next to the window, black back facing the window as well. Last time I was in there, they just stocked it with some SPS frags.

OP
OP
offthehook

offthehook

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vent actually diverts it to the left and right, doesn't go straight down so that's a plus. I'll put a thermometer there just to see as now I am curious :). The windows are new too so they don't transfer much heat at all even in the hottest part of the day. I was more worried about the light but hopefully that won't be an issue. I'm in eastern NC so I feel you when you say "winter".... lol. It's been a hot summer this year.

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful I have a tank across the entire room away from any window and at certain times of day indirect sunlight shines into it. I suspect it may be the cause of some algae issues I have encountered.

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally forgot to come back and post the picture. My bad. Here it is. Isn't mangroves. But you get the idea.

IMG_2220.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back