Lanthanum growing like my belly

Mus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chemistry experts out there? With the initials RHF lol

Just got an ICP back saying I had 75 ug of Lanthanum…

Only issue is I stopped using lanthanum back in July 2021 when my ICP results said 32 ug.

Any lanthanum issues I have had in the past go down even without water changes
1f62e.png
and don’t just double in a 900 litre system….

How is it possible… Big mumma gets dosed lots but this is all billy basics… kh, aminos, vodka etc etc no potions
1f9ea.png
or phosphate removers etc

I have raised this to my ICP test provider….

Any help or ideas please.
DAA91C6F-502E-4F57-B0CC-908F71094203.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI I have to send my samples out to there lab in Germany.

OP
OP
M

Mus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I only test for Kh and Ca. Phosphate came out at 0.58 mgl from the ICP… I thought it was 0.05 lol oops

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that 0.58 ppm phosphate and 75 ug/L lanthanum are able to to coexist for long, so if both are accurate, lanthanum phosphate may continue precipitating and lowering the lanthanum.

OP
OP
M

Mus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that 0.58 ppm phosphate and 75 ug/L lanthanum are able to to coexist for long, so if both are accurate, lanthanum phosphate may continue precipitating and lowering the lanthanum.
My La doser and La container have been checked and it appears to support that I did turn it off in July when I did have 32 ug/L La.

I think there must be something wrong with this ICP test.

Can La be added by any other source I have not added anything apart from major and minor trace elements, amino acids and vodka to my tank in years and years apart from La which was turned off last year.

Thank you for your help.

92523FE8-A274-4606-8E20-31AD9CCAF4EA.jpeg

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd just ignore it, unless you seem to have issues maintain adequately high phosphate. Sometimes too much information that we are uncertain of its accuracy is more trouble than its worth. :)

OP
OP
M

Mus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd just ignore it, unless you seem to have issues maintain adequately high phosphate. Sometimes too much information that we are uncertain of its accuracy is more trouble than its worth. :)
Would you please mind reviewing my response about my test which seems plausible to me and the fact that all my wave makers broke recently (story for another day) might support this due to changes in water movement.

Also can La be removed overtime from my fleece roller or can any of this La be absorbed by phosphate.

Many thanks in advance.

“…. Lanthanum binds PO4 and forms a non-soluble complex with it. This is removed from the water column by the filters, but some also settles in the bottom and/or decoration.

If detritus is stirred up, the insoluble lanthanum complex will also float in the water column again for a while. If a sample is taken at this time, it will also contain lanthanum. This is detected by the ICP, but has no biological significance for the aquarium.

Nevertheless, I took your backup sample and analyzed it. I also added lanthanum to our main control water to check the calibration of the instrument. In both cases I could measure the expected lanthanum content. Another control sample, which was not manipulated with lanthanum, showed no lanthanum as expected.

Therefore, I assume the correct function of our device and I am sure that your results are correct.

Please keep in mind that this had also an impact on the phosphorus content of your sample. The readings will also include not biological available phosphorus…..”

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solubility of lanthanum in the deep ocean is controlled by precipitation with phosphate. Same should happen in a reef tank, although it may be a slow process.

Sure, it is possible that suspended particulates might be detected. Some ICP companies remove at least some particulates (Triton said in the past they do this), and lanthanum in reef tanks does not always show up after using it, but their answer is plausible.

Again, I would not worry about it, whether it is dissolved, particulate, or a mismeasurement. :)

OP
OP
M

Mus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solubility of lanthanum in the deep ocean is controlled by precipitation with phosphate. Same should happen in a reef tank, although it may be a slow process.

Sure, it is possible that suspended particulates might be detected. Some ICP companies remove at least some particulates (Triton said in the past they do this), and lanthanum in reef tanks does not always show up after using it, but their answer is plausible.

Again, I would not worry about it, whether it is dissolved, particulate, or a mismeasurement. :)
Thank you Sir, your a true gentleman and scholar

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back