LARGE - (80x26x6) Floating Shelf???

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still, after many months, trying to figure out how I'm going to get lights over my tank. The most recent idea is a floating shelf with the lights mounted inside.

I'm using 2x 36" dimmable aquatic life hybrids with 4x Kessil A360x lights. I plan to run the cables in the wall behind the shelf, and back by the opening in the stand for a clean look.

My questions are plentiful, but mainly: If I use 2x4 as the support against he wall with 4" lag screws will it support 26" out with around 30 lbs of light + probably 30 lbs of wood.

Open to opinions and advice. I've looked at a ton of DIY youtubers, but can't find anything quite this large w/ this much weight.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is your fixture/shelf going to be? if you are going to be 8-10 inches in thickness, you could use another 2x4 at the top of the structure and then run a couple of cables to the front of the fixture to help hold it up, or even use a 2x8 or 2/10 as the backing and connect the bottom and the top to the same backing.

Another option which would require a bit more work and some drywall would be to mount the shelf coming off of the studs inside the wall which would give it more structural support and assumes the studs are in the right place:). For added strength you could use steel and use lag bolts into the studs which .

OP
OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How thick is your fixture/shelf going to be? if you are going to be 8-10 inches in thickness, you could use another 2x4 at the top of the structure and then run a couple of cables to the front of the fixture to help hold it up, or even use a 2x8 or 2/10 as the backing and connect the bottom and the top to the same backing.

Another option which would require a bit more work and some drywall would be to mount the shelf coming off of the studs inside the wall which would give it more structural support and assumes the studs are in the right place:). For added strength you could use steel and use lag bolts into the studs which .
The fixture is only 2 inches high - I'm thinking about doing ~4-6 inches total shelf height

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on tackling the heat from the light fixtures to escape? I would incorporate some type of fans to move air in and out of said shelf. 1. For the longevity of the light fixtures themselves. 2. So your shelf doesn't catch fire. If you open up the wall a bit and install some backing... say like 2x6 blocks so you have something to through bolt to. Build the shelf like a box with 3/4" thick cabinet plywood and run 3/4" ribs inside in between where the lights sit to stiffen everything up. It will be strong and much lighter than using say solid boards.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back